George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist

Plymouth Breeze: Hello: I am changing rear brake shoes on a

Hello: I am changing rear brake shoes on a 98 Plymouth Breeze. When I put the one side back together the drum would not fit over the shoes, I replaced the spring kit, I'm not familiar with this style adjuster but I tried to adjust it in all the way but the drum still would not go on. I then removed the self adjuster and it still would not go on. The only I could get it on was to remove one of the new shoes and replace it with the old shoe. The drums are not new. do you have any suggestions?

Hello I will help you with your question,

The procedure to replace the shoes and set the adjuster is below, look this over and let me know how I can help you with this

Click here for procedures

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX have any ideas on why the drum wont go on with both new shoes? it will go on with both old shoes or one old and one new shoe.

Yes, I believe you do not have the adjuster fully retracted and seated so it is holding the shoes out a little. Study the procedures I posted and install them as shown and I think you will be able to install he drum.

Please let me know how i can help

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The fact that I took the adjuster out of the system totally I would think the drum should go on ?

AS long as you have the shoes fully seated in the cylinders and the springs installed you should be able to install the drums if you have the correct shoes>

Please let me know what I can do to help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Oh I forgot to add that I purchased a second set of shoes from a different parts store just to be sure. But I will study the material you gave me and try it again tomorrow. Thanks

OK, I will be here all day tomorrow so let me know what I can do to help. I think you will find the shoes are spread a little in their mounts and that is what is preventing you from installing the drum.

Please let me know how I can help by posting to this thread.

Thank you