Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

Isuzu Trooper: 1989 Isuzu Trooper 4x4 2.6 4 cyl was running

1989 Isuzu Trooper 4x4 2.6 4 cyl was running great, then over a period of a day developed a miss at idle, and lost power. Smooths out above 3000 rpm, but no power. Checked everywhere for vacuum leaks, changed dist cap & rotor button, checked timing, checked fuel pressure. Pulling the wire off #1 plug produces little change in idle quality. Changed #1 plug. Sharp brief rattle or spark knock when throttle is blipped.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 3 years ago.
Hi Im Tom and Im here to assist you with your issue today.Is the check engine light on and have you done a compression test?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
check engine light stays on up to about 2500 rpm, then goes out. I have not done a compression test.
Expert:  Tom replied 3 years ago.
Ok if you could can you do a compression test and let me know the readings .This can be an issue with the distributor itself also .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. Give me a bit.
Expert:  Tom replied 3 years ago.
Not a problem I will be here when you are ready to continue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry to be so long.

Compression on 1 & 2 was 30, 3 & 4 was 120

Expert:  Tom replied 3 years ago.
Ok thats telling you you have bent valves and the vehicle has jumped time.You definitely have internal engine damage.This is where you need to focus next for this issue.Remember Im here if you need any further assistance for anything at all just let me know it will be for no further charge.Please rate excellent service so I can get credit for my help thanks.Bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. No chance it could be the head gasket blown between the cylinders?
Expert:  Tom replied 3 years ago.
Not with those compression reading. Remember that I'm here if you need any further assistance just let me know it will be for no further charge. Hoped this helped.Please rate excellent service so I can get Credit for my help thanks. Bonuses greatly appreciated.