Amedee
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Ram 2500 Laramie SLT: My 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 has only headlights

Customer Question

My 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 has only headlights and tail lights working. I need to troubleshoot parking and brake lights.
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

AMEDEE :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you with your question.

AMEDEE :

Please allow me to ask a few questions in order to better help resolve your concern

AMEDEE :

Your saying that the parking lights and the brake lights are not working correct?

AMEDEE :

Can I get your engine size?

AMEDEE :

I am not sure if you are on line so I am going to switch this to question and answer.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Dawn,

Please reply back to me using the reply box below.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a v8 gasoline engine...I checked the fuses under the dash...both the 15 amp parking light and and 20 amp brake lights fuses are good
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Dawn,

Thank you for that information.

Lets check one circuit at a time.

Lets start with the brake lights.

At your stop light switch, you should have two wires going into the connector. If you disconnect this connector and jumper the two wires together, do the brakes lights come on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the stop light switch?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
This is located under the dash on the brake pedal.

Here is a pic

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The plunger switch was loose...there are many wires going into it. I reconnected the plunger switch. The brake lights do not work with headlights on or off.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Dawn,

Your going to want to look for a pink/dark blue wire going into the switch. This wire should have power on it at all times.

If so, jumper this wire to the white/tan wire and see if the brake lights come on.

Let me know!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see the wires...I don't know how to jumper...I just a small piece of 10 gauge wire...stripper the two ends...tried to fit into the two connector slots, but does not fit or seem to be making connection.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Ok.. you can use a paper clip in each end of the connector to do this.

You can gently insert the paper clip into the cavities and then ends using the jumper wire.

If this does not work, check to be sure that you have power on the pink/dark blue wire going to the stop light switch.

It is possible that these two issues are not related. However, it is also possible that these two issues are related upstream either in the fuse block or the power distribution center. If you have checked all of the fuses on the vehicle, then double check to be sure that fuse number 20 in the fuse block and fuse number 18 in the fuse block inside the can has power on these fuses. You can leave the fuses plugged in and check for power on them using a test light or a voltmeter. There are two small metal prongs on the back side of the fuses that you can use to check for power on them.

Fuse number 20 feeds the stop lamp switch. Fuse number 18 feeds the headlamp switch which supplies power to the parking lamps.

I hope this helps! Please don't forget to rate my answer as "excellent service" for assisting you today. We can still continue this conversation even after you rate my answer.

Regards

Amedee
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Dawn,

Thank you for the positive rating!

I am going to send some wiring diagrams over to you with the fuses circled for each circuit so you can see.

I am going to get some sleep because it is getting late. Please remember, we can still continue this conversation for as long as you would like until we get to the bottom of this problem. I will be on line all day tomorrow. Here are the pics.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here