Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair

isuzu rodeo: 88 Isuzu trooper II 2.6 engine, new rebuilt shortblock

88 Isuzu trooper II 2.6 engine, new rebuilt shortblock and head, on startup, it is pouring oil out of the rear of the engine, inside of the bell housing. Oil is coming out of the clutch lever slot on the side of the bell housing, no access panel to look inside. What has enough oil pressure there to leak that much. A quart in a couple minutes. The short block was from a 93-97 Isuzu Rodeo, 4ze1 block
Hello, I am Randall. I have reviewed your question and working on it now.
Sorry for the delay. Did you install the engine? or a shop ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I installed it myself. The block was supposed to be factory new and the head was a Clearwater rebuilt. I reused the pan, flywheel was turned, new t/o bearing and clutch. It definitely coming out of the rear of the engine through the bell housing.

Thanks. Can only come from one of 2 places. Either out of back of head like a cam seal OR the rear main bearing at back of engine crankshft is bad, installed wrong or for that matter installed at all
You have to remove the flywheel to get to it
Lots of works for a $12 seal I know but no other way. If it is there./ may be defective so have to pop it out, and tap a new one in. #28 in the picture
The head? I have seen cam seal leak at top back of the head and run down back of engine. If you have looked at this area and no oil running down the back, then have to lean to a bad rear main crank seal