Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

forenza Suzuki: Hi my 2007 Suzuki forenza valves are bent but

Hi my 2007 Suzuki forenza valves are bent but how do i find out how many ate bent and what is the cost
Category: Car
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer ! my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will do my best to assist you with this problem

did the old belt break ?

and the engine cranks over but will not fire up after the belt was changed and installed correctly ?

this is a 2.0 engine correct ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well the old belt wasn't broken but got replaced because the tensor was replace it stopped on me while i was driving and never cranked again that when i was told it was the timing tensor then yesterday the man was trying to set my timing on track and he said that the valves were bent
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well the old belt wasn't broken but got replaced because the tensor was replace it stopped on me while i was driving and never cranked again that when i was told it was the timing tensor then yesterday the man was trying to set my timing on track and he said that the valves were and i think its a 4.0
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok more than likely the tensioner failed and caused the timing belt to slip when the timing of the valves v/s the pistons is off the pistons will bend valves

as for how many and which ones are hard to tell until the cylinder head comes off

what has to be done is make sure the timing belt is on correct and do a compression test and cylinder with under 75 psi have bent valves in them

worse case all the valves are bent it will run you @ 9 to 10 hours labor to remove the head and replace the valves if all are bent this job is going to run you @ $ 1500 to $ 2000 give or take for valves and the necessary gaskets

its very rare that any piston damage has happened as usually it does not damage them it just bends the valves

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok so what is psi? And what do you mean by "take for valves"...and could i take the had off and take it to the shop or will i have to get it towed..my car won't start..i'm a female so i really don't know to much about cars..but say for instant one valve is broken, how much money would u think it could cost?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok im very sorry I didn't explain it better

psi is = pounds per square inch a cylinder needs a minimum of 100 psi for it to work and if a valve is bent the cylinder can not make the correct psi in the cylinder for it to run

yes it will need to be towed

the cylinder head will have to be removed from the engine to change any bent valves

the valves each are @ $ 22 each depending on how many are bent would not be known until the cylinder head is removed to check and replace the valves that are bent

totsal cost for this job worse case can run from $ 1500 to $ 2000

but varrys so much depending on how many valves would be bent

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok the mechanic Wii did my car yesterday said that he could remove the head and take the head to the shop without it being towed and how many valves are on this model car?
And so the more valves bent the more the labor cost?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

the labor will not increase much at all depending on how many are bent most shops pull them all out and see which ones are bent then just change the bent ones

this engine should be a 2.0 4 cylinder can you confirm this for me ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok my title says a 4cyl..i'm not understanding what will cost 1500-2000??
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok im pricing the labor as a shop doing the work for you.to remove the cylinder head and replace the bent valves

this engine has a total of 16 valves if they are all bent that's 16 X @ $ 22.00 for each valve

that is $ 352 alone for all new valves and a head gasket kit and necessary fluids will be @ $ 300

then the labor is 10 hours to remove and put the cylinder head back on so that's 10 X's a shops labor rate of an average of $ 100 can be 800 to 1000

1000 + 650 = 1650

if you have someone doing the labor for free or under $ 100 a labor hour then it will be a lot cheaper

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok wow lol...ok say if i wanted to take it to the shop to see if that's really the problem, what is the estimated price?
Because the mechanic told me but i like to get more than one person saying
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
a shop will charge no more than 1 hours labor tops to diagnose the problem and will be able to tell you if the valves are bent or not
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will they also tell me how many bent one during the check?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

they should have a good idea

as if so to say 3 cylinders show low PSI then more than likely the cylinder that has good psi the valve are ok

I would say out of all the ones I have done it seems either all 8 intake valves are bent or just all 8 of the exhaust valves are bent which would only be @ $160 ish for just 8 valves

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok that u were much help to me. I will write u back tomorrow after i check it at the shop thanks
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

no problem

you can always reply back through this post anytime to reach me and I will respond back as soon as I can

even after you rate us here at Justanswer !

Gary, Technician
Experience: GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years