Amedee
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

isuzu i290: hi i have an 2007 isuzu i290 . i bought the truck

Customer Question

hi i have an 2007 isuzu i290 . i bought the truck with 4 miles on it and now has 70000 miles . i have noticed that my truck doesnt crank over all the time especially wen it sits for a while or when i fill it with gas (doesnt want to start) ,then ill wait about 10minutes and it starts right away like nothing was wrong . it has happened to me several times in the last few months , i have done the maintenance checks on it on time, oil change, tune ups and have done winterizing it every year since i had it. does anyone have any advice or idea what this could be , i have replaced the battery, (3 months ago) checked the alternator and starter and all came back strong, new wires and spark plugs . my email isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Customer:

Hello and welcome to Just Answer! My name isCustomerXXXXX I can assist you with your question.

Customer:

Please allow me to ask a few questions in order to better help resolve your concern.

Customer:

Are you saying that the engine cranks over but does not start?

Customer:

Or are you saying that the engine does not crank over at all?

Customer:

I see you are off line now

Customer:

I will switch this over to question and answer

Customer:

If you are stuck in chat

Customer:

just hit the "F5" button

Customer:

and the page will refresh

Customer:

Thank you

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

victor,

Please reply to me using the reply box below.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

im saying when the truck sits for a long time , ill put in the key in the ignition and the engine wont turn over , it just makes the noise like its not getting enough fuel or something .then ill wait about ten minutes turn the key again and the truck turns on rightaway like its new . its not a grinding noise , it makes a noise like not enough power or fuel to start the engine , but it will do the samething on a full tank of gas . ty victor

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Victor,

If your saying that the engine will not do anything when this no start condition happens, I would suspect a bad starter motor. This is very common. You are going to want to check for power down at the starter motor with the key in the crank position. If the starter motor is getting power when this happens but is not working, the starter motor is bad and will need to be replaced.

However, if you are saying that the engine is cranking over but not starting, then you could have a bad/weak fuel pump. I would start by checking fuel pressure when this happens. The fuel pressure specs for this vehicle key on engine off (and while cranking) is 50-57 psi.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Amedee
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Victor,

Its Amedee from just answer. I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance. Please let me know.

Amedee