Dave Nova
Dave Nova, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

I have a 2004 Suzuki Verona 6 cyl. The check engine light is

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Suzuki Verona 6 cyl. The check engine light is on reporting cyl 4, 5, and 6 misfiring. I have change spark plugs and coil boots. It has been suggested to change the coil packs, but I find it hard to believe that all 3 have gone out at the same time. It was also suggested to change the oxygen sensors, but there is 2 for each bank, but if 1 bank controls those 3 cyl that would make sense, but am unsure which side that is driver side or passenger ones. Any other suggestions would be appreciated
Category: Car
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using justanswer.

Do you feel the engine misfiring when it is running? Do you have any codes other than the misfire codes for cylinders 4-5-6 ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no other codes other than the misfires for cylinders 4-5-6. Yes at times when u go to accelerate the car hesitates, then will suddenly kick in to full speed

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Misfiring under load is more of an indication of a failing ignition system component. Oxygen sensor failure will set other codes. Cylinders 4-5-6 are the ones closer to the drivers side.

Try removing the ignition coils for 4-5-6 and swapping them with the 1-2-3 coils. If the misfires move to cylinders 1-2-3 then the coils are bad. If the misfires stay at 4-5-6 then we will need to do further diagnosis. Let me know what it does.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok I will try that, but how do I know which cylinders are which?

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Ignition Coils

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

great thanks will try it and let u know the results

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good. Will look forward to your response.

Dave

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I switched the cylinders around and unhooked the battery to reset the check engine light. Took it for a test drive and couldn't get the engine light to come back on, or get it to misfire. It didn't misfire all the time before just sometimes. If the misfire stays at cylinder 4-5-6 what further diagnosis would you recommend trying?

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
There may have been poor electrical connections at the coils or perhaps there is carbon tracking on the spark plugs (looks like hairline cracks in the porcelain) If the problem acts up again, I suggest replacing the spark plugs and the boots from the coils to the plugs.