chad
chad, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  12 years of exp. 10 with ford on my third with all other makes.Just love cars

Pontiac G6: I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 that is experiencing two

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 that is experiencing two problems:

1. Upon starting the engine, the engine frequently stalls unless the gas pedal is depressed quickly enough to prevent the stall.

2. The power steering pump fails randomly. It appears to be an electric pump and it returns to normal operation once the engine is turned off and then restarted.
Category: Car
Expert:  chad replied 1 year ago.
the power steering may be related to to the low idle causing low power supply. remove the air intake hose to access the throttle body once there hold open the throttle plate I use a long screw driver to hold the blade open and with air intake cleaner and tooth brush scrub out the throttle body throughly and restart the car you will have to throttle upon restart until the cleaner dissolves. let me know how you make out. and as always feel free for further input.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The power steering problem is not related to the engine stall. They do not occur together.

The power steering pump fails randomly while the engine is operating. The only way to get it to work again is to shut down the engine and then restart it. My research shows that the power steering pump may be an electrical pump. I am not able to find a fluid reservoir.

Expert:  chad replied 1 year ago.
yes the p/s is electrical no fluid system the motor is attached to the steering column above your foot pedals as well as the control module the reasoning for possible relation was due to low idle rpm prior to stall causing low voltage. If not related i would recommend scan tool data and diagnosis this is too expensive of a system to take guesses on. about the only thing i could suggest is to disconnect and inspect the control module connections. which again is located piggy back on the lower end of the column. Did you take of the stalling issue with the throttle body service?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, let me see if I understand your suggestions. The control module connection is located at the lower end of the steering column, inside the vehicle? You are suggesting to disconnect the connection and inspect it, I'm assuming for corrosion?

I have not had a chance to clean the throttle body throttle plate. However, I'm a little confused how that would cause the engine to stall.

Expert:  chad replied 1 year ago.
yes for corrosion or oxidation you can add some dielectric grease to the connector if you want but not needed knowing gm's unplugging and reconnecting should suffice you can do this a couple of times just to clean the contacts. If you find that column replacement is required I have had good luck from the recycling yard for a tenth of the cost.
CAR-PART.COM is a great resource. good luck and keep me posted. BTW how did you make out with the stalling?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will try cleaning the connector.

Regarding the stalling, as I mentioned yesterday, I have not had a chance to clean the throttle body throttle plate. I'm confused how this may lead to stalling. I am familiar with a dirty throttle plate causing a sticking sensation while pushing on the gas pedal.

Expert:  chad replied 1 year ago.
totally different when it comes to drive by wire there is no cable going out to the engine it is electronically controlled the carbon build-up causes lack of air flow this system is very sensitive and does not compensate for this build up scrub it out throughly both sides top and bottom while holding the plate open with a long screw driver. you will notice a difference in start up, idle, and rpm.
chad, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 12 years of exp. 10 with ford on my third with all other makes.Just love cars
Expert:  chad replied 1 year ago.
thank you and let me know if i can further assist