Steve
Steve, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  25 years working as a service technician
43460220

why does my radiator overflow liquid have different color than

Customer Question

why does my radiator overflow liquid have different color than my drained radiator fluid?
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Steve :

Thanks for trusting me to help you with your car today. I am a certified mechanic with over 25 years of experience. I look forward to working with you

Steve :

What is the color of the fluid overflowing out of your radiator?

Steve :

Is your engine overheating?

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Brian,

Is your engine overheating?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Color of the over flow container- bright green. Color of the fluid that came out of my radiator- clear. Yes, my car has recently started overheating unless I am on the move above say about 45 mph. It is middle of the temp gauge and if I stop for too long, it will be fine for about 30 seconds and then it quickly shoots up the scale unless I start moving fairly fast quick.

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
It sounds like you colling fan is not working on the front of the radiator. I am going to guess you have a electric cooling fan and it should come on when the engine gets hot. To see if it is working at idle turn the a/c on does the cooling fan come on?
On the fluid it sounds like if it is clear somebody put water back int the radiator instead of green coolant. You need to have a mix of 50 percent green coolant and 50 percent water.
I would go buy a gallon of green coolant from the parts store and mix it 50 /50 and put it into the radiator.

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Hi Brian,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Steve
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Hi Brian,

Let me know,
Steve