Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.
9795573

Mazda Miata MAZDASPEED: I just got back from a deployment and

Customer Question

I just got back from a deployment and I forgot to unhook the battery on my 05' Miata MazdaSpeed. Now when I turn the key the dash lights come on, but the radio antanna will not go up and the radio will not come on. I have replaced the batterys in the key remotes, still nothing. The battery is fully charged. Is there a reset on the imobilizer that I don't know about?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time.

What you need to do is to contact a Mazda dealer with your VIN number for a radio code. When the battery goes dead, or gets too low the electronics in the radio assume the radio has been disconnected/removed/stolen. Basically the radio always has power to it, so it should normally see a no or low power situation. It has an anti-theft system that shuts the radio down in a low power situation, assuming it has been stolen/disconnected. You need to get the code and enter it. Most Mazda radios only allow 3 attempts to enter the code then they require a secondary code. It's a pain, but it is what it is, and it is what you have to deal with to get it going. Also there is no trick, or bypass all straight up pain in be backside, LOL. Get with Mazda, get the code, and you can get through this. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I do not get paid for my work unless you rate at 3 to 5 Smiley Faces or Stars, a bonus is always greatly appreciated. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will be happy to assist you further.

Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience: 30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am not so concerned about the radio, but more the engine. I can't start the car because it will not crank. I do not know if there is power to the starter. there is power to the dash instruments.

Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
You didnt mention the engine not starting in your original post, that is a big difference. I will opt out and see if another expert can help. Good luck with it and thanks for using Just Answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

do I need to ask again? I received notice that you required more information, do you still require any more info on my problem?

Expert:  Walt-mod replied 1 year ago.

I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Walt,

I am OK waiting, how long do you think it will be?

Expert:  Walt-mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.
Expert:  Kavey replied 1 year ago.
hi my name isXXXXX going to help you today. does your key work to turn alarm on and off? Is there any lights flashing on the dashboard. Does everything else work okay. Windows sunroof windshield wipers lights anything else you can try. Is the car a stick or automatic?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wayne, the key does not work to turn the alarm off, the key will not open the trunk or lock/unlock the doors. I do get dash lights, the odom shows the milage, the lights work, the horn works, the turn signals work. the red light on the top of the steering column flashes. The car is manuel geared. I had to take the fuze out for the horn, it annoyed me and the neighbors.

Expert:  Kavey replied 1 year ago.
Take the battery out and take it to your local auto parts store and have them trickle charge it overnight and load test it. Chances are good you have a bad battery.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wayne, did that and the battery checked out fine. I will have to look again but I remember it being 100% 14 amps. Also I tried it with our second car jumping the battery, no effect. It seems as there is no current getting to the starter. when I try and start it, the security system will flash for several minutes after I try to start.

Expert:  Kavey replied 1 year ago.
Well it is completely up to you. If you have a multimeter we can dig in. I just dont want to send you chasing 100 things it usually isn't before properly testing something it usually is.

Do you have a multimeter?

Also if you got a second key give that a shot if you haven't already.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

appreciate not chasing my tail. I don't but I will get a multimeter. whats next? second key does not work either.

Expert:  Kavey replied 1 year ago.

Let me know when you got your multimeter and we will start checking circuits.

You know I just thought about it but you dont happen to have another mazda key on the keyring or in your pocket do you? Just to be sure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no second key, thought about that as well. I only take one out at a time. Holidays here in Germany, will take another day to get a multimeter. To follow up, the battery is charged at 100% the amps are 14% I have tried to jump it and still no power to the starter. the security light flashes after every attempt to start, I am wondering if there is a way to bypass the imobilizer or is that a bridge too far?

Expert:  Kavey replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately there is no way to bypass the immobilizer that would be worth doing. It is always cheaper and quicker to fix it. They do a very good job on the new immobilizers and they work well. If I think of anything before you get a multimeter I will let you know. But most things we need to know some voltages or we are just guessing and I dont want to waste your money buying parts on guesses.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK I have a multimeter and am ready to get started. I also tried an On Board Diagnostic tool to see if it could show me anything, there is no power getting to it. the machine would not power up. I checked it on another car and it functions fine.

Expert:  Kavey replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I have been away. Do you still need help with this? Please let me know. I am available any day through next weekend.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have discovered the imobilizer switch next to the fuze box, it gets the car started. I still have no radio and the remotes do not operate the door and trunk locks. I think I have the code for the keys and the radio, my next step is to get that going. I realize I may need a dealer to cut new keys and re-program the system.

I think I am good with it now. I'll let you know if the dealer can't help.

Expert:  Kavey replied 1 year ago.
Yeah. It seems for some reason the keys need reprogrammed. The dealer should be able to get it fixed. Good luck. I will be here if needed once you see the dealer.