SARMIENTO22556
SARMIENTO22556, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, ADVANCED ENGINE PERFORMANCE,OVER 20 YRS. ON ALL MAKES OF VEHICLES
8532170

Door ajar and dome light stays on... what do we do to fix

Door ajar and dome light stays on... what do we do to fix this?

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com,

what year, make and model is your vehicle?

have you had a recent repair or body work done to the vehicle?

you remove the negative battery cable and the light stays on?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1997 Mercury Sable station wagon

No repairs of any kind has been done to this car

Remove battery neg. cable and EVERY thing goes off, lights and all.

It does not do this all the time 3 or 4 times a week.

Thanks

ok does the buzzer indicating the key is in the ignition going off too?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no, buzzer does NOT go off after the key is removed.

There is about 95,000 miles on this car.

ok, in your model the door ajar switch is located at each of the door latches. one of the switches is faulty causing the car to think one of the doors is open. there is no easy way to diagnose this. you can go around to each door and opening each one at a time, while the door is open take a screwdriver and close the latch and see if the door ajar light stays on or off. if you get to one door where the door ajar light wont go off then you've found the door. you will have to remove the door panel and replace the switch. i can send you a link to replacing it.

worse case you will have to remove each door panel and tail gate panel and disconnect the switch from the connector to see if the light goes off.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think it is only the driver side because it happens when I get in and out with no one else entering the car.

Are you telling me I can open the door latch and see the switch but have to take the panel off the replace it?

Thanks for answering. Ken

no you can't see the switch from the outside. it is mounted on the door latch inside the door panel. It is only accessible by removing the door panel
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I accept the answer, good job!

thank you very much let me know if you need directions on how to replace the door ajar switch.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I should be able to do it... if there are some known problems doing this I would like to know about them.... otherwise, I'll do it myself.

no its pretty straight forward, remove the door panel. and remove the latch, but here is a link to special instructions about replacing the switch click here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I could not open the instructions on replacing the switch, the files on this computer wont open it. :-(

Please send me instructions on how to remove the globe on the overhead interior light bulb. I would rather remove the bulb before I tear off the door panel to replace the switch. I'll do that later. K.Parsons

it is a microsoft word file, i cannot post it into the threads because of copyright regulations. I can only provide you a link. please find another source to open the file
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will do, now, can you tell me how to get the dome light out. I don't want to break the globe.

looks like you pry carefully along the edges with a small flat blade screwdriver