Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

Changing ball joints-does the ball joint remove independent

Changing ball joints-does the ball joint remove independent of A frame arm?-
is there a repair manual for the Jeep Patriot 2008? available to public?
The balljoint is only replaced as part of the lower control arm as a unit - not replaceable by itself

As to repair manuals, there are not any that are free to the public, but you can purchase a 1 month subscription to AllData, Mitchell on Demand, or Chilton's for around $25 and then download the manual onto a computer harddrive.

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

If you have any other questions on this, feel free to ask for more help by clicking the REPLY TO EXPERT button, otherwise please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE to pay for services rendered per customer agreement

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does this involve removing the shock/s?

The auto parts dealer said something about pivot bolt replacement? He asked if I could hear a popping sound when traveling over bumps.

How would I tell if the inner tie rod was in need of replacement?

Thank you for images.

HI,

No, you dont need to remove the front struts. The lower strut to steering knuckle bolts are removed, but not the upper strut mounting nuts. The directions I gave you are the complete directions for lower control arm replacement.

The pivot bolt is not required to be replaced when changing out the lower control arm, otherwise directions would say "remove and discard pivot bolt".

Inner tie rod wear smptoms are same as outer tie rod wear symptoms - loose steering, pulling alternately to the left and right, and severe vibration on acceleration

Thank you.