Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair

isuzu amigo: installed a new head on isuzu amigo 2.2 today.

installed a new head on isuzu amigo 2.2 today. I am installing the cams and cam sprockets. I noticed the timing marks are off on both the intake and exhaust. How do I get these to line back up. Verified the no.1 cylinder is TDC. Do I rotate each cam individually to the timing marks. I just don't want to bend a valve, from what I know this is a interference engine.
Hello, I am Randall. I have reviewed your question and working on it now.

Ok, first off you can turn each cam by hand etc till they are close to the marks. Even if you begine to turn a cam and it stops? turn the crank a little then continue to turn the cams. You will not bend any valves turning by hand even if cam stops.It takes a lot more than this like engine running
I have included a link for the repair. It is a .pdf file you can upload
It will explain how to properly set all the timing
Click HERE to upload this link
All should be just fine from there

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I bought the GM timing tool mentioned in the manual. So yesterday I aligned the cam sprockets to the marks on the head and the crank pulley to the mark at the bottom. Installed the timing belt and set the correct tension. It said to rotate the engine a couple times. I can only get it to rotate 1/4 turn either direction? The head was off for 5 years, but the vehicle sat in my garage, not outside to rain. I don't think I am hitting the valves. Checked several times and did the timing belt a couple times just to make sure I had it on right.

so how did you set the crank at TDC?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was already sitting close to TDC on the no.1 when I pulled the head off and I was able to rotate it a little to align the marks. I never fully rotated the crank.

I am trying to understand what marks. you said marks on the crank "pulley" but in fact you have to align marks on the crank "gear"
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Right, So in the diagram you sent me. I align the crank gear that the timing belt rides with the factory marks on the bottom. I placed a wooden dow in the no.1 cylinder and rotate the crank back and forth to make sure it was at tdc. So I assumed everything was aligned correctly. The cam sprocket marks align with the mark on the cover as shown. But the next step was to rotate the engine 4 turns to verify the marks re-align. But when I rotate the crank with a breaker bar. It goes only a 1/4 turn. Do you think some sludge on the cylinder wall is keeping me from complete rotation. I appreciate you being patient with me. I just was able to get to the work last night!

Sure sounds like in time to me. Nothing indiacting otherwise. Doubt hitting valves, should maybe do with plugs out
Another was it to get to TDC and remove the valve cover, look at the cam lobes on #1 cylinder to be sure they are pointing more upwards. Yes,, ridge in cylinder is possible. You may have to fill each cylinder thtough plug holes with penetrant fluid or thin oil and let sit
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will spray the cylinders with PB and let them set for a couple days. Hopefully that does the trick. I will let you know if it works.

Best regards,

pls do. thanks