Alex
Alex, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician, L1 Advanced Level Specialist
15182921

Scion Xb: I have a scion xb, about 4 months ago I was driving

Customer Question

I have a scion xb, about 4 months ago I was driving and my car just died. I replaced the battery and all was fine. Now 4 months later I noticed the other day ill be driving and my engine will start to sound hollow and almost kind of stutter or put. Usually happens when I'm at red light and it turns green and I accelerate or when I'm on the freeway. But the noise it makes sounds pretty similar to the noise my car made right before it died on me while I was driving a couple months ago. Any suggestions on what it might be?
Category: Car
Expert:  Alex replied 3 years ago.
Hello, My name is Alex. Thanks for using Just Answer.

This usually happens if the engine oil is run low or is very dirty. This could also happen if the engine oil is over filled. The Variable Valve Timing (VVT) Actuator uses engine oil pressure to work properly so improper oil level or dirty oil will cause the engine to run poorly. Check the engine oil level and condition with the vehicle parked on a level surface, engine off. If the engine oil is dirty, replace the oil and filter. If the oil level is incorrect, adjust as necessary by draining or adding oil to the engine.

Other possibilities include worn spark plugs, dirty air filter, or a dirty throttle body.

If you haven't replaced the spark plugs before, now would be a good time to do it (only use NGK plugs). Check and replace the engine air filter if it is dirty. Remove the air intake tube and clean the throttle body bore and throttle plate as well as you can and wipe with a clean cloth.

Doing these things should allow the engine to run much better.