Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE master, 30+ years. All makes and models. Trouble shooter, shop forman, service manager

Land Rover Discovery 3 v8: My Land Rover 2006 discovery 3 v8

My Land Rover 2006 discovery 3 v8 has run 260000 without problems. Recently after an overheating diagnosis the land rover service centre put a new thermostat. The car was ok for a while but problem recurred leaking the coolant through the concertina like black pipe on top of the engine. Sevice admitted that the thermostat that they installed was faulty and replace it with new. I drove the car for 500km to attend a family funeral from Johannesburg to Durban without problems until on a Saturday when problem reappeared with gauge in the red zone and leaking badly. Car towed to a landrover centre in DUrban who tested by pressuring the engine and found no leaks. Car picked up and driven plus 120km to Jhb and car has overheated again without leak. Coolant down topped up after cooling the car still overheats. Please help

Hello and welcome, Super mechanic here. Thank you for trusting us with your concern. I will do my best to help you with your question.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you may have a blown head gasket and you’ll likely need to take it in to get it repaired or at least do the test yourself.

About your vehicle.

The first thing that you want to do is check the cooling system for any exhaust gases. There is a tester for that, that you can gt from Autozone for about $20. It comes with instructions, but there is a blue fluid that is used in it, if the fluid turns yellow, that is exhaust gases.

Block tester available as:

Napa BK.(NNN) NNN-NNNN/span>

Part Number:

If there are any exhaust gases in the cooling system, that will cause more pressure than desired and will allow the engine to burn coolant and/or heat the coolant up too high. Most times not filling the crankcase with coolant either.

If there are, then there would be an internal engine problem, like a head gasket or head.

Of course, you will want to make sure that the system is full, the coolant is circulating, and the cooling fan(s) are working as well as the pressure cap holding pressure. Thanks