GearheadBrown
GearheadBrown, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  10 Years various auto repair and diagnosis. Nissan Specialist technician. ASE Master certified.

Suzuki Swift GTI: I have installed a 1990 Suzuki Swift gti

Customer Question

I have installed a 1990 Suzuki Swift gti in my 1991 Geo Convertible. I switched the engine and the wiring harness and the ECM. All went well but now I cannot get power to the distributor. The car ran fine before I took it out of the donor. I've checked all the connections and grounds and can find no reason why I can't get power to the distributor. Can you give me any help? Also where would I find a wiring diagram for the electric on the GTI? Thanks Alberta Slim
Category: Car
Expert:  GearheadBrown replied 1 year ago.

I have uploaded a wiring diagram for the engine control system you specified below.

My first suggestion would be to make sure you are getting power to the ecm from the main relay. Being that this is an older engine, it is entirely possible that the writing harness could be brittle and become damaged during the transplant.

If you are getting power into the ecm from both the constant and switched (on) locations, as well as having a good ground connection, then I would suspect a fault in the wiring between the ecm and distributor or the ecm itself. The fact that it was running before the swap means that the ecm is most likely OK.

You can also use an ohm meter, trace the wires from the distributor to the ecm, and test for resistance from connector to connector, this will tell you if you have a break in the harness.

If you need any further assistance, please let me know!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have tried what you suggested and nothing has changed. My distributor wires do not seem to be the same color as on your diagram. Can you give me a wiring diagram of the ECM? Any other suggestions, This is driving me nuts and I'll try whatever you suggest.

Do you have power to the coil? What are you referring to when you say power at the distributor? Spark?

The reason I ask is because I recently did a motor swap into a vehicle using a different engine than stock. i had a problem getting spark, and ended up having to run a new wire from my ignition switch on position, directly to the positive terminal on the coil.

the ECM controls spark by grounding out the coil to release the stored energy.

You may have to run a wire form your switched 12v source to your ignition coil for the engine to run.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have hot ignition to both sides of the coil but cannot get any spark at the plugs. What is the next move?

Let's test the coil's internal resistance.

Using an ohmmeter, measure resistance between the coil's positive and negative terminals. Your resistance reading should be between .72-.88 ohms. If you find anything outside of this, replace the coil.

Next, measure resistance between the coil's positive terminal, and the out put (where the distributor wire goes), your measurement here should be 10.2-14.0 ohms. Again, if you do not get a reading within this tolerance, replace the coil.

We should also check to make sure that the ECM is sending the signal for the coil to fire. You will need an extra set of hands for this test.

Connect your voltmeter to the negative terminal on the coil (plugged in), measuring voltage, have someone crank the engine. You should see the voltage reading go up and down as the engine turns. This will indicated that the ECM is sending the signal for the coil to fire.

Please check these 2 things and get back to me. I also want to thank you for being patient while we get to the bottom of this!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

WITH THE NEGATIVE WIRE OF THE VOLT METER ON THE NEGATIVE SIDE OF THE COIL, WHERE DO I HOOK THE POSITIVE SIDE.

I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP AND PATIENCE.

Sorry, I should have described that better.

Positive of the volt meter to the negative of the coil. Negative on the volt meter to a ground.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Coil measured intolerance. Voltage readings stay the same well cranking the engine across the coil.

Can this be a distributor problem

Thanks again for your help and patience

At this point the only 2 things I see left that could be causing the no spark condition, are the ECM or Distributor. The voltage reading staying the same indicates that the coil is not being fired. So either the distributor is not telling the ECM where the engine position is, or there is a fault inside the ECM.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate your help and you have been a great support. The problem isn't solved yet. I will be in touch with you again, as soon as I get back to the problem.

Thanks Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. I hurt my arm and haven't been able to do any work for awhile. Now, The ECM and the Distributor module have been replaced and the problem still exists.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just notice that "Status:Finished" is showing on my question. How can this be? the problem has not yet been solved.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

PLEASE CHECK YOUR MESSAGES FROM ME. I HAVE SEND THREE MESSAGES TO YOU THAT HAVE NOT BEEN ANSWERED.

THANKS RON

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Saturday, May 18, 2013 9:55 PM EST

You replied

Sunday, May 19, 2013 9:36 PM EST

You replied

Sunday, May 19, 2013 11:08 PM EST

You replied

Friday, May 24, 2013 2:27 PM EST

THANKS RON