Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

I have a 2008 Land Rover (Range Rover Sport 4.2L Turbo and

I have a 2008 Land Rover (Range Rover Sport 4.2L Turbo and I need to replace the front brake pads. What is the procedure for doing this and is there any "special" equipment or techniques required?
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,

No special tools or equipment needed. It is pretty basic and same as most other vehicles.
  1. Remove the wheels.
  2. On the left front, remove the pad wear sensor.
  3. Remove the anti-rattle spring from the caliper housing.
  4. Remove the 2 guide pin bolts and rotate the caliper upward.
  5. Remove the brake pads from the caliper.

To install:

1. Compress the caliper piston into the bore.
  2. Fit the pads into the caliper.
  3. Install the caliper and tighten the mounting bolts to 24 ft. lbs. (33 Nm).
  4. Install the anti-rattle springs.
  5. Install the pad wear sensor.
  6. Install the wheels.
  7. Depress the brake pedal several times to set the pad-to-disc clearance.
  8. Check the brake fluid level.

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please be sure to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE to complete transaction or ask for more help by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE , however you are not charged again. Thank you.

Please note the 1 to 2 faces(POOR AND BAD SERVICE) are a negative rating. Before choosing one of these, please reply first so that I can further help you

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Eric, I tried to replace the brake pads on the Range Rover Sport and the pads are locked on with three star bolts. I couldn't break the bolts loose with the sockets I had. So, I had to go purchase the special 14E star sockets to remove these bolts? Can you please send me the specific instructions with diaghrams for this vehicle. The instructions sent are kind of general in nature. I think this job is going to be more challenging than expected. Thank you very much.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there anyone else that can answer my reply?

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

sorry, for some reason your followup only showed up now on my side. Let me check to see if I have more precise directions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I need additional help with this question. There's actually 4 bolts that hold the calipers on and they're torsk/star bolts. I need more accurate information for this repair. Is there anyone that could help me with more information on this?? Thanks,