Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Red Seal Journeyman Technician, 20 Years experience

How do I turn off my parking lights?

How do I turn off my parking lights?
Submitted: 1 year ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Car
Expert:  Canuck Tech replied 1 year ago.

I'm assuming you are referring to a Subaru - there is a switch on top of the steering column.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's a 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser

OK - let me have a look at a diagram. You may have an issue with the switch. Was there anything that lead up to this condition - any recent repairs, aftermarket accessories (like a remote starter) installed, accidents?

In the underhood fuse block, fuse B should get the lights out. I really suspect the switch. It also could be fuse 2 - there is some controversy amongst the wiring diagrams

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

According my owners manual, there should be a fuse block in front of the air filter. All I've got there is my air filter and battery. The only fuses I have access to are under the dash.

Another option would be to pull the negative terminal off the battery. Are you going to take the car in to have a mechanic look at it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks so much! The fuses idea worked! I pulled the fog light fuse under the dash and the lights went off. Why is it that the pictures in the owners manual never match the object it comes with. I really appreciate your help. I'll check with a mechanic in the morning about what could be causing the problem. Thanks again for being there.

OK - no problem - glad it worked out! One fuse is better than the negative cable... did you say fog lights or fog light fuse? The fogs are activated by pulling OUT the headlight switch... It is a weird way to activate the fog lights, I admit. Do you have a round headlight switch in this car?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

All the light controls on this car are on an arm coming off the steering column, and yes, some light operations require that you pull the end out and adjust accordingly. I tried that over and over and the fog, or parking lights just wouldn't go off. They're off now, and everything else seems to work, so I'm happy.

Thanks for your help.

OK! Just wanted to make sure I covered all the possibilities. Best, Canuck
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician
Experience: Red Seal Journeyman Technician, 20 Years experience