hilltop4527, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Independent repair shop owner/operator experience with many makes and models both foreign and domestic.

I own a 2013 Ford Ranger XLT I wish to install electric brakes

I own a 2013 Ford Ranger XLT I wish to install electric brakes and require information regarding wiring and any other information would be appreciated Regards raz

I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's not urgent, I first need to know if its possible so I can purchase the appropiate unit, and then the installation details.

Thanks for your help

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.
are you looking to add an electrical brake set up for towing a trailer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I plan on towing a Trailer / caravan and I need to know what is required to install an electric brake system to suit these requirements. I heard it is important to make sure that the fitting is done correctly as considerable damage can be done if not correctly installed. Hope you can help.

the electric brake set ups that I am familiar with only use the signal from the brake light switch to trigger the electric brakes on the trailer. Is that the system you are thinking about?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I'm looking at a controller installed in the cabin which is adjustable

ie a Teconcha P3 or similar. Should I look for someone else to help

Yes the controller works off the brake light switch signal to control the electric brakes. I am not 100% familiar with the system you mentioned. i will open up the question so another expert who might have more experience can help you. Please do not respond back to the thread until another expert has picked up your question. Thank you again for using and another expert will be with you soon.

Hi there I see you are having trouble getting an answer to your question. The last unit I installed was on a ford f-150 and I went to oreileys auto parts and bought the brake controller and they also had a wiring harness that is a direct plug and play harness that required no splicing of the wires. This would be the best way for you to go if you can find one. I checked advance auto and oreileys and I have to drop back to the 2011 model year even to access a ford ranger. I am not sure what the deal is there. Usually the ford f-150 harness will work on thge ranger. The manufactures typically use the same connectors on all makes. I would buy the kit for the f-150 if I had to and look under the driver dash for the plug in. I think it is a 3 wire plug. If the harness will plug in it will work, if not you can take it back. Try this and see if it works. If it doesn't go ahead and get an electric controller and let me know what brand it is and I will look online for the instructions from that manufacturer and access wiring schematics for your vehicle and help you to install it.
I just saw your concern as to wether an electric brake system can be installed on your ranger and the answer is yes. If the plug and play harness is not available we can use the universal harness that comes with the unit. These can be installed on any vehicle even cars.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Your answer does not solve the question. The question is can and how can it be installed. Your answer so far is ambigious as you say it is possible provided that this or another harness can be installed. My question was can it be installed and how. Could you please answer these simple question in a profession manner.I look forward to your response.

Thanks Ray

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
All I need is a complete answer to the questions I have asked repeatedly.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX am a professional engineer and a qualified mechanic, I will do whatever I can to answer your questions...

Don't forget.... the deposit you placed to ask this question is simply that, a deposit which is refundable. Also, when you are asked to give a rating, please remember you are rating My Service ONLY, not the website, the fact you may not be getting the answer you wanted to hear or the speed of response as this is something I have no control over.

So can you give me some info...

Do you have the factory fitted towbar installed already?
Is it a 7 pin or a 12 pin connector plug?
Do you have a controller tekonsha/hayman Reece/Hayes etc?
Do you have auto electrics experience?

Hi I am sorry you gave me a bad rating . Your question of can it be installed is simple. An electric brake controller can be installed on any vehicle that has brake lights and that just about covers them all. I just saw the model you wish to install. Let me see if I can come up with the instructions online and I will hopefully get you the help you need and see if I can get you to update my rating to a good one so I can receive credit for my answer. I will get back to you later today.

Hi I have searched and it appears that a plug and play harness is not available for a ranger. I also cannot find the generic wiring instructions for the brand of controller you are interested in. However I looked up a Hayes brand at Oreileys auto parts that has a simple installation and will do he same job as the one you are looking in to. I looked at the instructions for a Hayes Energize lll and Energize XPC and the install is simple. The red wire goes to the light green wire on the stop light switch on the brake pedal. You must install an inline 20 amp fuse on all 1999 model and newer fords. The black wire goes to the batterys positive terminal. The white wire goes to ground. And the blue wire is the signal to the trailers brakes. Different models may be slightly different so I need to know what model you have. It also may be different if you are using more than one axle on the trailer. If you can axcess the generic instructions for the Techoncha P3 I will be happy to help you with the install.As you can see the install is simple and the install on the P3 is probably similar, it is really not a big deal just get you a controller that has internet accessible instructions that I can access and I will help you install it. Thats about all I can do. Have a blessed day and let me know if you need me.

hilltop4527, Auto Service Technician
Experience: Independent repair shop owner/operator experience with many makes and models both foreign and domestic.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks sounds like i should purchace teconsha p3 grab the instrutions and confer with you does this suit.

Look forward to you reply

Yes that will work. I will be here to help when you get the instructions let me know. Thanks