AMD
AMD, Master Technician
Experience:  L1 Advanced Level Diagnostics Specialist

My a/c isnt working,is there a common problem that I might

Customer Question

My a/c isn't working,is there a common problem that I might check?
Category: Car
Expert:  AMD replied 1 year ago.

AMD :

Hello and thank you for trusting us with your Car question, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

AMD :

Are you available to discuss your question at this time?

Customer:

yes

AMD :

Hi! How are you doing today?

Customer:

Fine,and you?

AMD :

I'm doing wonderful thank you. If I may ask, is there a history or something done to the vehicle that caused the a\c to stop working? or it simply stopped working out of the blue?

Customer:

I'm not sure,I purchased it used in January and discovered it wasn't working recently,the fuse under the hood was burnt so I replaced it but no help.

AMD :

Which fuse was burned? Also when you say a\c is not working, do you mean that the air is not cold? or the fan isn't even coming on

Customer:

The blower works fine for the heater and the fuse I replaced was the a/c fuse in the black box under the hood.

AMD :

OK when you turn the a\c on, does the light in the console come on? Also have you noticed if the fans come on or not?

Customer:

When I push the a/c button it lights and the blower blows but I can't feel or hear the compressor kick in,I also turn the heat/cold knob to cold.

AMD :

The compressor in your car doesn't have a regular clutch that you will hear kick on like other cars so that's why you don't hear the noise of the compressor kicking on.

AMD :

Is the vehicle near you?

Customer:

Out side in the car port about 50 yards away.

AMD :

Wonderful. Can you go to the car and perform a quick test for me?

Customer:

If you can wait,yes.

AMD :

Of course I can wait. here's what I'd like you to test.

Customer:

ok

AMD :

Go to the car, turn the engine on. then turn the fan on and put the temperature knob to full cold then make sure that the light for the a\c is on on the control panel, then open the hood and see if the cooling fans are running or not.

Customer:

ok.be back in a minute!

AMD :

OK Take your time.

Customer:

ok,I did what you asked,the a/c button does not light up and the fan is not turning,the fuse I replaced is still good.

AMD :

OK I see. Now what I am thinking here is most likely a low freon charge.

AMD :

Common for most cars for the condenser which is the front radiator for the a\c system to leak from a rock hitting it while driving.

AMD :

First start with a full charge of freon and that most likely will take care of the issue.

AMD :

Although I don't like the fact that the fuse was blown but since it's good now I would check the freon level first.

AMD :

if the freon level has been verified to be good then the vehicle will need to be diagnosed as most likely we have an electrical issues in the a\c circuit.

AMD :

I doubt it will be an electrical issues from experience it's most likely just a low freon issue.

Customer:

That would cause it not to turn on? or not to blow cold air?

AMD :

OK, When the freon level is low the system has a pressure sensor which will prevent the compressor from turning on to protect it, If you run the compressor with a low freon level it will overheat and cause damage so there's a protection system in place. If the charge is low the compressor will not even come on and of course it will not blow cold air.

AMD :

Is this making sense?

Customer:

ok,I will have it charged and checked but if it turns out the compressor needs to be replaced what might I expect as the cost?

AMD :

Charging the system will be around 100 dollars. I highly doubt the compressor will be an issue here, it will most likely be either a switch or an electrical issue. But to answer your question the compressor from the dealership would be around 1900 dollars. I know the price is very high but I would highly doubt the issue with the car is a problem with the compressor.

AMD :

I think it's either a freon charge being low or an electrical issue. Most likely it's just low on freon due to a possible leak.

AMD :

Did you have any other questions for me today?

Customer:

ok my friend,thanks for the assist and hope you are right,I am giving you an excellent for a rating,I know it can't be easy to diagnose on line but you give me hope I just wasn't sure if there was another fuse I should of checked,again,thanks for your time and help,have a great day!

AMD :

You're welcome! I appreciate your rating and your understanding. Let me know if you have any other questions.

AMD :

Thank you for using justanswer.com

AMD, Master Technician
Experience: L1 Advanced Level Diagnostics Specialist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I took my 09 scion xd to the dealer for an a/c charge and leak check which they did to no avail,after checking to make sure there was voltage to the compressor which checked positive they recommend a new compressor because the internal clutch is broken.The cost they are charging is $2632.79 Wheel works wants $1420.00.

Expert:  AMD replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,

The compressor in your car like I stated before is a special kind of compressor that doesn't have a conventional clutch like other compressors which makes it different and move expensive.

Now you may purchase a compressor from www.rockauto.com at a much lower price however you will have to find a shop that is willing to install a part that you supply. Or actually ask wheel works if they are OK dealing with www.rockauto.com to save you money on the compressor.

The compressor from rockauto.com is showing at a little bit less than 500 dollars which is a lot better than the quoted prices.

No