Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Why does my car make a loud clunking sound when driving and

Why does my car make a loud clunking sound when driving and turning?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

from the way you explain..it sounds as if you have have a bad cv joint on an axle

tims auto repair :

pehaps you have a busted boot and it has slung the grease out

tims auto repair :

check the alxles

tims auto repair :

FRONT DRIVE AXLE

REMOVE OR DISCONNECT

- Tool Required:
- J 6627-A Tie Rod and Wheel Stud Puller

NOTICE:
- Care must be exercised to prevent the differential-side joint from being over-extended. When either end of the shaft is disconnected, over-extension of the differential-side joint could result in separation of internal components and possible joint failure.

88_gc97prizm_4d-004a.png
Full Size Image

- If the vehicle is to be lowered to the ground and moved, the front wheel bearings must be supported with a 14 mm (9/16 inch) bolt, one 44.45 rum (1 3/4 inch) washer, one 50.8 mm (2 inch) washer, and a 14 mm (9/16 inch) nut assembled through the shaft opening in the hub; tighten nut and bolt to 54 Nm (40 lb ft).

89_gc97prizm_4d-004b.png
Full Size Image

- On vehicles equipped with Antilock Brake Systems (ABS), use caution not to damage the ABS speed sensor ring on the wheel-side joint. DO NOT pry against the ABS speed sensor ring with metal tools when removing the wheel-side joint from the steering knuckle. If the serrations on the ABS speed sensor ring appear damaged, replace the wheel-side joint.

REMOVE OR DISCONNECT
1. Negative (-) battery cable.
2. Raise and suitably support vehicle.
3. Six bolts and splash shield from vehicle.

90_gc97prizm_4d-004c.png
Full Size Image

4. One retaining bolt and ABS speed sensor from steering knuckle (if equipped) and set aside.
5. Front tire and wheel.

91_gc97prizm_4d-005a.png
Full Size Image

6. Cotter pin and lock cap from drive axle.
7. Drive axle nut from drive axle.
8. One cotter pin from tie rod end.
9. One nut from tie rod end.

92_gc97prizm_4d-005b.png
Full Size Image

10. Tie rod end from steering knuckle using J 6627-A.

93_gc97prizm_4d-005c.png
Full Size Image

11. One bolt, two nuts and separate ball joint and steering knuckle from control arm.

94_gc97prizm_4d-005d.png
Full Size Image

12. Wheel-side joint from steering knuckle.

95_gc97prizm_4d-006a.png
Full Size Image

13. Differential-side joint from transaxle by gently prying the differential-side joint housing away and out of the transaxle.

Inspect
1. Differential-side and wheel-side joint boots for tears or deterioration. Replace as necessary. Refer to DRIVE AXLE UNIT REPAIR.
2. Front wheel bearing inner and outer oil seals for damage or deterioration. Replace as necessary. Refer to FRONT SUSPENSION.
3. Drive axle shaft fluid seal at transaxle for leakage or damage. Replace as necessary.

INSTALL OR CONNECT
1. Differential-side joint into transaxle.
2. Wheel-side joint into steering knuckle.
3. Ball joint and steering knuckle to control arm; secure with two nuts and one bolt.
- Tighten ball joint-to-control arm bolt and nuts to 142 Nm (105 lb ft).
4. Tie rod end to steering knuckle.
5. One nut to tie rod end.
- Tighten tie rod end nut to 54 Nm (40 lb ft).
6. New cotter pin into tie rod end.
7. Drive axle nut onto drive axle shaft.
- Tighten drive axle nut to 216 Nm (159 lb ft).
8. Lock cap onto drive axle; secure with new cotter pin.
9. Front tire and wheel.
10. ABS speed sensor into steering knuckle (if equipped); secure with one bolt.
- Tighten ABS speed sensor retaining bolt to 8 Nm (71 lb in).
11. Splash shield to vehicle; secure with six bolts.
- Tighten splash shield bolts to 8 Nm (71 lb in).
12. Lower vehicle.
13. Negative (-) battery cable.

Inspect
- Toe adjustment; adjust as necessary.

tims auto repair :

REMOVE OR DISCONNECT

- Tool Required:
- J 35566 Drive Axle Seal Clamp Pliers

NOTICE: During differential-side and wheel-side joint service, index marks (reference marks)should be placed on the differential-side joint housing and the drive axle shaft as well as the Tri-Pod joint spider, wheel-side joint and drive axle shaft to ensure that all components are installed in the same position from which they were removed. If this precaution is not observed and the components are installed in a different position, uneven or premature component wear may result.

16_gc97prizm_4d1-001a.png
Full Size Image

1. Large differential-side boot clamp from differential-side boot by drawing the clamp hooks together using J 35566.

98_gc97prizm_4d1-002a.png
Full Size Image

2. Small differential-side boot clamp from differential-side boot.
3. Temporarily slide the differential-side boot toward the center of the drive axle shaft.

93_gc97prizm_4d1-002b.png
Full Size Image

4. Place an index mark (reference mark) on the differential-side joint housing and drive axle shaft to ensure correct assembly.
5. Differential-side joint housing from Tri-Pod joint spider.

00_gc97prizm_4d1-002c.png
Full Size Image

6. Place an index mark (reference mark) on the Tri-Pod joint spider and drive axle shaft to ensure correct assembly.

01_gc97prizm_4d1-002d.png
Full Size Image

02_gc97prizm_4d1-003a.png
Full Size Image

7. One snap ring and Tri-Pod joint spider from drive axle shaft.

03_gc97prizm_4d1-003b.png
Full Size Image

8. Differential-side boot from drive axle shaft.

04_gc97prizm_4d1-003c.png
Full Size Image

9. Large wheel-side boot clamp from wheel-side boot.

05_gc97prizm_4d1-003d.png
Full Size Image

10. Small wheel-side boot clamp from wheel-side boot.
11. Wheel-side boot from drive axle shaft.

06_gc97prizm_4d1-004a.png
Full Size Image

12. Place an index mark (reference mark) on the wheel-side joint and the drive axle shaft to ensure correct assembly.

07_gc97prizm_4d1-004b.png
Full Size Image

13. Wheel-side joint from drive axle shaft by expanding the wheel-side joint snap ring.

NOTICE: Do not disassemble the wheel-side joint. If any abnormality is found in the joint, replace it as an assembly. Do not disassemble the Tri-Pod joint spider. If any abnormality is found in the Tri-Pod joint spider, replace it as an assembly.

NOTICE: DO NOT wash drive axle boots in solvent. Washing drive axle boots in degreaser or other solvents causes deterioration of boots. DO NOT wash the Tri-Pod joint spider in degreaser. Washing the Tri-Pod joint spider in degreaser will remove all lubrication in the Tri-Pod joint spider needle bearings. Clean the Tri-Pod joint spider assembly and drive axle boots with a clean,dry, solvent-free rag.

Clean
- Differential-side and wheel-side boots with a clean, dry, solvent-free cloth.
- Tri-Pod joint spider and wheel-side joint with a clean, dry, solvent-free cloth.

Inspect
- Differential-side and wheel-side boots for tears, damage or fatigue. Replace as necessary.
- Tri-Pod joint spider for excessive wear or damage. If any excessive wear, damage or abnormality is found, replace the Tri-Pod joint spider as an assembly.
- Wheel-side joint for excessive wear or damage. If any excessive wear, damage or abnormality is found, replace the wheel-side joint as an assembly.
- Dynamic dampener on right drive axle shaft for damage or distortion. Replace damper.

tims auto repair :

it is best to just replace the complete axle

tims auto repair :

thanks

tims auto repair :

Customer: Hi there,
tims auto repair :

hi

Customer:

HI there,

tims auto repair :

hi

Customer:

sorry I'm still trying to figure this site out.

tims auto repair :

thats fine

Customer:

I kind of thought that it might be a cv axle. The only thing that led me away from that was when I was able to spin the tires while it was in park when I did the first test

Customer:

When I looked at the axles the boots and everything were still in tack.

tims auto repair :

yes..but they may be old and out of balance

tims auto repair :

check to see if you have any play in the joints

tims auto repair :

this is about the only thing that would make the noise you described

Customer:

Ahh I see. The front end is all tight. Ball joints, tie rods are all good. There's no movement when I shook down the front end

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

it sounds like an outside cv joint

Customer:

Which side axle would be the differential side and which would be the wheel side

tims auto repair :

but..could be the inside

tims auto repair :

the inside joints are really hard to check

tims auto repair :

Customer:

I would guess the right side would be the differential side, considering when you spin that wheel, both sides spin. And when you spin the left side just the left side spins.

tims auto repair :

perhaps

tims auto repair :

just replace that axle

Customer:

That's kind of what I was thinking. Would you recommend replacing both left and right axles. Or do you suspect one side more than the other

tims auto repair :

you need to replace the one on the side that makes the noise

tims auto repair :

you may not need to replace both

Customer:

lol... ahhh... that would make a lot of sense... sorry had a little bit of a brain fart

tims auto repair :

happens to all of us..lol

tims auto repair :

Customer:

Thank you very much for all your help and advice. How do I come back to this site and let you know, or the website what happened as a follow up?

tims auto repair :

just sign in and reply back to this question

Customer:

Got ya. Thanks again!

tims auto repair :

you are very welcome

Customer:

sorry one more question

tims auto repair :

yes

Customer:

Do I rate this now, or do I rate this after I address the issue. Sorry, still not sure how this site works yet. Still getting familiar with it.

tims auto repair :

i prefer now,,but,,you can do as you want

Customer:

Got ya. Thanks!

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Tim. I just wanted to follow up with you and let you know that problem ended up being a transmission issue. After our chat, the car developed a new symptom. Every time I would take it out of Park and put it in Drive or Reverse, there would be a loud slam. Actually it would due that even if you put it in Neutral. And then the loud clunk, while going forward or reverse, turned into a large slam. After trying to maneuver it around the drive way, I parked it, tried to move it again, and then it wouldn't budge. Kind of a bummer.

i hate to hear this,,,,
but,sometimes you need to hope for the best but expect the worse
thanks