Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Isuzu Trooper: I have a 1992 Isuzu Trooper V6 DOHC. When trying

I have a 1992 Isuzu Trooper V6 DOHC. When trying to start engine the starter does not engage it just whines; I replaced starter motor but same result. The manual says that it could be the flywheel but I am dreading that! Could a faulty starter relay not energizing the solenoid to engage the starter cause the starter to spin but not engage? I have not replaced the starter relay yet but I'm hoping that it could be the cause of the problem I am having?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. If the starter motor whines that means the relay is sending the starter voltage so relay is working correctly. This can only mean starter is bad or flywheel. Did original starter do the exact same thing? Or did original stop working, you replaced it started spinning, replaced again and it does the same thing? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The original starter did the exact same thing. I was hoping the starter relay was the problem because in the schematic the solenoid seems to operate separate from the motor correct? The solenoid pushes the starter gear to engage with the flywheel correct? So if the relay does not energize the solenoid would not that cause the gear not to engage?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

The solenoid acts as a high current switch that allows voltage to go from one side of solenoid to the other side "starter motor". The starter relay is what sends voltage to the to activate the solenoid. So at starter there are two wires. One large wire which has voltage at all times, this is the main power wire for starter which passes through solenoid to starter motor and also pushes out the gear to engage. So based on your symptoms of starter whining we know the large wire has voltage because you hear it spinning and small wire has voltage because it is spinning. If the large wire did not have voltage you would only hear a click. If small wire did not have voltage you wouldn't hear anything. To verify starter is getting good voltage you can use a voltmeter to verify both wires at starter show at least 11v while trying to start, if good the next step is to inspect and replace the flywheel. Here is a wire diagram to show you how system operates. I am sorry it is not something more simple, I wish it was. The only chance its something simple is if large wire is not getting enough voltage which you can test with voltmeter. Please do not leave me a negative rating for the bad news. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help or if you would like me to open question back up so you can get another opinion. Thanks Gary.

-

http://db.tt/gPXn58hB

Dan, Technician
Experience: Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would never leave you guys a bad rating and thanks for the help. Oh yeah I read that there is a dust cover that I can remove to inspect the teeth on the flywheel is so where is that located?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

You will see it right between engine and transmission, I'll try to find a picture for you. Give me a few minutes. Thanks.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

It appears there are no pictures available in manual for these earlier years, but if you look on bottom of transmission you should be able to see it next to starter area. If you can take a few pictures and upload them to me I can circle it for you. I'll keep looking for a picture but it is not looking too promising. Let me know how it goes or if you have questions, thanks.

Dan, Technician