Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Had a conversation with Chris(mudyford)about my weak battery

Had a conversation with Chris (muddyford) about my weak battery last Friday: Now I have had problems again, sometimes it would start, sometimes not enough power and just make weak clicking sounds. Jumping always worked. I ran the car for almost 2 hours on the Freeway on Sunday and when I came back on Monday morning it almost didn't start, today it didn't with very little charge apparently so had to jump again. This afternoon, it would start, but all warning lights stayed on and car radio had no power. Restarting fixed this. What do you think is most likely the problem? Bad battery? Alternator? To remind you, it was a 2005 Scion xB, I think the battery was never changed actually. How much would a shop in xx likely charge me?

Hello Chris here again.
Do you own a digital volt meter, if so I can help you diagnose this issue quick.
I am 90% sure its your battery that's bad since its not holding a charge and its 8 years old. If you have a local Auto Zone, you can purchase a replacement Duralast batter there and they will install it for free. About 90$ and done. Below are the 3 closest ones.
(###) ###-####
(###) ###-####
(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Oh that sounds awesome. I don't have a voltmeter, do you happen to know if they usually have a voltmeter (no problem if not, otherwise, I'll just call tomorrow AM) to help me diagnose? If so, what should I check for and does it make a difference that the battery is naturally low since I didn't charge it much yet?
Auto Zone is a parts store, they do sale volt meters but you will not need one because they will test your battery and alternator for you while on the car for free.
They will only diagnose it in person, not over the phone.
If you do get a meter, with the car running and every electrical load possible on, verify the battery voltage is between 13-15 volts, if it is then the alternator is good.
You have driven enough for the alternator to do its thing, your battery is not holding the charge from age or a dead cell.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Chris, always a pleasure. The autozone advice will probably safe me a lot of labor $$$. Let me make sure you get a 5 star rating.
Thanks for asking for me and glad I could help.