Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr.
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in the automotive field

Scion TC: I am installing a Toyota LED daytime running light

Customer Question

I am installing a Toyota LED daytime running light system into a Scion TC 2012.

The instruction say to remove the knee airbag, not connector, just assembly.

I can't get to the upper air bag bolts, got any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Toyota Service :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you with the following directions:

Toyota Service :

Remove the lower steering column cover

Toyota Service :

Push the right and left sides of the lower steering column cover and detach the 4 claws

Toyota Service :

While turning the steering wheel to the right and left, using a screwdriver, detach the 2 claws and remove the lower steering column cover

Toyota Service :

Remove the lower instrument panel cover

Toyota Service :

Now remove the negative battery terminal connector and wait 2 minutes before proceeding

Toyota Service :

Remove the 4 bolts that holds the lower instrument panel cover on

Toyota Service :

Detach the 6 claws and 2 guides and remove the lower knee airbag

Toyota Service :

Once you have the lower cover off, you should be able to see the knee bag upper bolts

Customer :

What does Toyota typically charge for this install?

Toyota Service :

About 2 hours

Toyota Service :

It is imperative that you disconnect the Negative battery terminal before doing this

Customer :

Right. Don't want the airbag going off or an errant spark.

Toyota Service :

Do you need a picture?

Customer :

Yes, please

Toyota Service :

Full Size Image

Toyota Service :

Look closely at the picture, in the opening under the steering column cover area (top center)

Toyota Service :

This is where the upper knee bag bolts are

Customer :

What is the going rate for Toyota labor, and I bought this from a dealer out of state, but it is a Toyota part.

Customer :

I assume if Toyota did it, it would cost $200-$250?

Toyota Service :

Around 200-225

Customer :

That sound mor like a Lexus rate :)

Toyota Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr.
Experience: Over 30 years experience in the automotive field
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is junction c46 a small gray connector (4 slots) in power mirror area?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a diagram of connector c46?

C46 is a Grey 4 wire connector

This is the "Option Connector" (front fog light switch)

That is how Toyota refers to it. 4 connections in a line.

Sorry, I to not have a picture.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is a small 4wire connector in the power harness to the power mirrors, it is not connected to anything.There is also a C25 connector, it appears to be the power mirror connector?

C25 is for the mirrors; it is a flat 10 wire connector

C46 is under the dash, on the driver side.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, got it in and it is working as described.......paul

Excellent.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Great Job, gave you an excellent rating........paul

Thank you so very much. I do appreciate the excellent rating. If you ever need assistance on other requests in the future, please feel free to call upon me again.

Here is my direct link:

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-toyotaservice/

Thanks again