EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master certified L1, L2, Diesel Certified 16 years experience
34559540

2004 Ford Freestar 3.9L V6 oil pump seal leaking, How to change

2004 Ford Freestar 3.9L V6 oil pump seal leaking, How to change it?? Has 6 bolts

Eric :

Hi. To replace the pump, you will need to remove the A/C compressor and bracket before you can remove the 6 bolts and the oil filter housing (pump).

Customer:

You mean the A/C has to have the freon remove to take the lines loose.

Eric :

Yes. That is correct.

Eric :

If you would like I can give you a PDF file of the pump removal procedure

Customer:

I had talked to a service guy at Ford and he said it would cost $300 if just the seal, $400 if housing is cracked. Isaw the bolts but hard to see them all clearly.

Customer:

I don't have a means to recover the freon or vacuum it done to recharge the system

Eric :

I just you an image of the pump and bolts.

Eric :

I don't think the pump can be sneaked out without removing the compressor.

Eric :

Its up to you how you evacuate the a/c system, but you can go and purchase the freon yourself and put it in after the repair

Customer:

I thought youhad to vacuum it down first, because you are opening the system and moisture can get in right?

Eric :

That is true. If doing a quick repair, so the lines are not open to atmosphere for that long, it definately is not the biggest deal to not vacuum the system and to just put freon in after. You can also buy a vacuum pump to pull vacuum on your own system at home.

Customer:

I thought I take the serp belt off, out of the way. Then remove bottom radiator hose, better side access.

Eric :

Yes that would help as well.

Customer:

What are the tightening sequence of the bolts and what to torgue them at. This engine has a cast iron block doesn't it?

Customer:

Aluminum is not as forgiving.

Eric :

Yes it is a cast block.

Customer:

I'm hoping that the housing isn't cracked. This van had a recall to replace the torque converter and Ford replaced it last fall.

Eric :

I have never seen the housing be cracked before. I have done several torque converter recalls.

Customer:

If I get the bolts all out, is things going to fall out when I move the housing??

Eric :

No. The gears for the pump are all part of the housing.

Customer:

I got the seal in a timing cover gasket set. What drives the gears, a shaft up to the cam?

Customer:

This van has been a check engine light nightmare before this.

Customer:

137,543 miles on it. I have 1990 Ford Festiva 254,678 miles original clutch.

Eric :

The oil pump runs off of a shaft from the cam position sensor.

Customer:

It does'nt fall out does it?

Customer:

have to be in a slot to work right.

Eric :

No. nothing falls out. Its pretty much fool proof.

Customer:

Just trying to be aware of what to expect, no surprises, like compression springs that hold things in place.

Eric :

Yeah, there are no surprises like that.

Customer:

Well I can't think of more to ask. First time using this service.

Eric :

Thats ok. If you have any more questions, you can just bookmark this page and come back to it later.

Customer:

I guess I can't ask more if something should come

Customer:

OK Thanks for your help.

Eric :

Your welcome. Please remember to rate my service, and if you need anything else please ask!