sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

my excel wont start. Fuel guage drops while cranking and code

my excel wont start. Fuel guage drops while cranking and code shows 3137
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I assume the engine cranks but doesn't start, rather than the starter not engaging?

If it cranks but doesn't start then the first thing you need to do is determine if you have fuel pressure and spark.

You can check fuel pressure with a gauge or try spraying some carb cleaner into the throttle body while cranking the engine. If it will run off the carb cleaner then you have a fuel issue and would need to investigate the pump.

If it is missing spark then you could have a broken or jumped timing belt, wiring issue or a bad coil. If the engine sounds different or faster when cranking now than it normally does then that's a sign of a jumped or broken timing belt.

You can quickly test the coil, the primary should be .8 ohm and secondary calls for 12.1 k ohms.

If you are missing both spark and fuel pressure that points to the ECM not being awake or a wiring issue. If the ECM is missing a power or ground feed from a wiring issue, blown fuse, ignition switch, etc then you will lose spark and fuel both. I'm assuming the ECM itself was replaced with a known good unit so we should be able to rule it out.