Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE master, 30+ years. All makes and models. Trouble shooter, shop forman, service manager
2947720

Jaguar S type 4.2 computer has recently switched to limp

Jaguar S type 4.2
computer has recently switched to limp home mode and shown "engine problem" and "park brake malfunction"
have been able to get it back to normal driving by turning motor off and restarting
then tried to reset computer by disconnecting and reconnecting battery which then got rid of engine warning light and car drove okay for a very short distance
when tried to take car out next day it showed "parkbrake malfunction" and parkbrake is locked on and car cannot be moved
Category: Car
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome, Super mechanic here. Thank you for trusting us with your vehicle concerns, I will do my best to help you with your question.

.

.

The parking brake module is sensitive to battery voltage below 8 volts for more than 20 milliseconds. When a vehicle has been left parked for some period it is possible that this threshold may be reached.

.

You may want to try to redalibrate the parking brake system, (PBS)

.

1. Reset the EPB module:
a. Switch off the ignition.
b. Disconnect the battery for 30 seconds. For additional information, refer to S-TYPE Workshop Manual Section 414-01.
c. Reconnect the battery.
2. Start the engine.
3. Firmly apply and release the footbrake five times.
4. Confirm that the message "NOT CALIBRATED" or "APPLY FOOT AND PARK BRAKE" is displayed on the instrument cluster message center. This indicates that the parking brake is in calibration mode.
5. Lightly press the footbrake pedal.
6. Apply the parking brake by using the EPB switch.
7. Release the parking brake.
8. Release the footbrake.
9. Confirm that the brake warning lamp is no longer illuminated on the instrument pack and that the "NOT CALIBRATED" message is no longer displayed in the message center.
10. Apply and release the EPB five times to ensure no error is present.

.

Then have any trouble codes read from the ECU and PBS systems to be sure there are on further problems with it. (if the trouble lights come on again)

.

Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience: ASE master, 30+ years. All makes and models. Trouble shooter, shop forman, service manager
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

did not work

ran thru your procedure twice

after apply and release foot brake 5 times it still displayed "parkbrake fault"and did not show any of messages you said it should

parkbrake still fully applied and car will not move

what now

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
There were some service bulletins for that type of concern, which involves a software update of the PBS controller, which would have to be done by the dealership, I hate to have to say.
.

• Brakes - Parking Brake Won't Release
NUMBER:
JTB00044 MODEL:
S-TYPE, XJ DATE:
JULY 12, 2007

SECTION 206-00

Parking Brake Does not Release

CONDITION SUMMARY:

LOW VOLTAGE BLOCKS PARKING BRAKE RELEASE

.

Cause:

.

Action:

Should a customer express concern, re-configure the parking brake module to the new software level to resolve this issue using Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS).

.

PARTS:

No parts required

TOOLS:

IDS DVD107 with Patch File 4

WARRANTY:

NOTE: Repair procedures are under constant review, and therefore times are subject to change; those quoted here must be taken as guidance only. Always refer to DDW to obtain the latest repair time.

DDW requires the use of causal part numbers. Labor only claims must show the causal part number with a quantity of zero.

.

REPAIR PROCEDURE

ELECTRONIC PARTING BRAKE MODULE CONFIGURATION

.

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

**You have to the hit happy face or a high rating for me to get paid for the answer.*****