Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years

somona pickup: dash gauges quit working

Customer Question

dash gauges quit working
Category: Car
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Justanswer ! my name is Gary and i will do my best to assist you with this problem

is this an automatic transmission ? if so does it shift ok ?

does the odometer work ? fuel gauge ?

do the turn signals work? when you turn the key on does the check engine light display when the keys on ?

sorry for the 20 questions but I want to be sure to give you the correct answer

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

standard speedo fuel no no gauges work turn signal work engine check light not hook up

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

ok but if you connected the check engine light would it light up? or keep turning on and off? why did you disconnect it?

is this a 4 or a 6 cylinder ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

disconnected 4 years ago this is a 39 studebaker kit install on2003 gmc and it is a 4 cyl. everything work yesterday then te speedo quit and then today every thing stop working. I tap on dash they came on but went off and have not came back on

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
if the connector wire colors show 12 volts the wires with the ley on both pinks the brown and the orange wires then make sure the black and both white/black wires are a good ground
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is this on the main plug that hooks the panel to the harness?

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
the connector that plugs right into the gauge cluster
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay I do not have the panel out and won't be able to do so until SAT.I tried to wiggle plug when I had it out but nothing happen.Where would the ground wire hookup be?

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
test all those wires right at the connector and see if they have what I said to check for
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sounds like I need to take this into a shop and have them check this out? So thanks for the information,Will get back with your later a let you know what is was

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
ok its either missing power or ground OR the communication wire from the cluster to the computer is bad or most common the gauge cluster is bad itself