Ridgerunnerras, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  I have been fixing cars for 26 years for myself and at a used Car dealer. I am skill mechnical and autobody and paint repair

02 rover freelander model

Customer Question

02 rover freelander model
Category: Car
Expert:  Ridgerunnerras replied 3 years ago.

Hello I would like to help you

when you Check the Start on the bench it Should really jump and twist.

If this is the case then inspect the Electrical connection to the start.

This could be a problem with being able to supply enough current through the starter to spin the motor.

You can try with jumper cable to connect the engine block to the neg side of the battery to check for a bad ground.

Also put a volt meter on you battery when you try and start it. It should not drop below 10 volts if it does th battery may not be good or the starter motor has a internal short.

you could have a bad starter motor that just can't supply the power.

Last you need to make sure that the engine is not somehow stuck and will not turn

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to rate my answer "Great Service" This is the only way I will get compensated for my time helping you.

IF you feel the need to click either "Helped a little" or "I expected more", please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

If you are having trouble with the site or rating system please let me know as this is a new feature and some Customers have had some trouble with it.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

you gave me general info, do you have any info on this car as to failures of starters, im going to have to install a new starter to find out if this is rthe cause of a weak started or is something else to blame , if so what could cause an engine that is hard to turn and start,would taking the plugs out and trying be advisible?engine has 156000 miles, this happenrd after i installed new plugs.or should i have it towed to get fixed/ karl

Yes this is general info however it is the exact procedure that any mechanic would try.

Since you did just put spark plugs in, then yes I would remove them. And try again.

Are you sure they are the correct plugs and not too long?

Starters all work the same way. And there is nothing special about they way yours is suppose to work.

did you try my trouble shooting suggestions?