Mike, Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I have been a Car/vehicle mechanic 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.

Saturn S-series 4-cyl wabon: 2001 S-series wagon, cant release

2001 S-series wagon, can't release and lower the rear seat back. Any help?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

My name isXXXXX happy to help you today.

The usual fault here is with the actual clip arrangement sticking ... it is difficult to be honest without seeing it -so the best I can do is advise you as to what to look for and do..

I will give you a schematic of the system - so that you can tell exactly what you have and what you are looking for -

Sometimes you have to renew the clip / fitting arrangement - but you will see once you get working on it... again - the schematic will help you with this..

Specific instructions are as follows for you from the manual :

1. Remove the rear seat back beam latch assembly.
Important: New retainers are required for reassembly.

2. Separate the rod assembly from the rear seat beam assembly by prying against the beam with a large flat-blade screwdriver at the four retainers locations.
3. Open the retainers and separate from the rod assembly.

Installation Procedure

1. Gently open the four new retainers wide enough to slip over the rod assembly.
2. Position the retainers and the rod in the rear seat beam assembly. Insure that the end of the rod is properly located in the beam assembly. Pushing the rod assembly handle in the direction pictured should activate the latch.
3. Snap the rod assembly and retainers in place.
4. Install the rear seat back beam assembly.

For the schematic - click this link HERE that I have uploaded for you.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

>> >> Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.

Mike, Mechanic
Experience: Hi, I have been a Car/vehicle mechanic 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.