Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr.
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in the automotive field

my 2002 is overheating acording to the heat sensor, but when

my 2002 is overheating acording to the heat sensor, but when i open the hood only the hose leading to the overflow for the coolant is hot. by massaging that hose and releiving pressure for the rad does the temp go down. could this be a thermostat issue? if not what could it be?
Submitted: 1 year ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Car
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Toyota Service :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you.

Toyota Service :

You are correct in your thinking about the thermostat possibility.

Toyota Service :

If the thermostat is sticking closed, coolant will not flow thru the radiator and enter the engine. The fact that one hose is hot and the other is cold usually indicates a thermostat replacement is needed,

Toyota Service :

Hi

Customer:

could it just be that the hose has a clog in it

Toyota Service :

I would doubt that.

Customer:

There is also a used rad in it could this be an issue.

Toyota Service :

There is 15 pounds per square inch of pressure in the cooling system; a clog would not stand up to that pressure

Toyota Service :

A used rad, on the other hand, can cause this, if the internal cores are clogged

Toyota Service :

The thing to do would be let the engine cool off, remove the thermostat, reconnect the hose, fill it with water and run the motor

Toyota Service :

if the overheat condition continues, A radiator replacement might be on the horizon

Customer:

I took it to my mechanic and it was pressure tested, so i know that there are no leaks in it. he was the one to drain, clean, and test it, as well as filling it. so my best bet would be to change the thermostat? can i do this myself, or would i be better to take it to a mechanic?

Toyota Service :

You best bet is the test listed above. I would recommend a mechanic so this is you do not have substantial expertise in this area.

Toyota Service :

I would recommend a mechanic for this if you do not have substantial expertise in this area.

Toyota Service :

Sorry about the typo

Customer:

Darnit, I was hoping for a cheaper fix. I've been driving it in 2nd gear to keep the rpm higher. It seems that if its in the 2000-2500 range that it does not overheat. Does this also lead to the thermostat?

Toyota Service :

yes.

Toyota Service :

Thermostat replacements are not that expensive

Customer:

Ok thank you very much.

Toyota Service :

You would do well to get it checked out soon

Toyota Service :

If the overheat condition is allowed to persist, you could damage the cylinder head gaskets(s)

Toyota Service :

That would be an expensive undertaking

Customer:

Calling for quotes today. On average any ideas on the time it would take for this fix?

Toyota Service :

Depending on the car/engine, about an hour

Toyota Service :

what make, model and year is it?

Customer:

I'm being quoted 3 1/2 hrs. 2002 buick rendezvous

Toyota Service :

engine?

Customer:

3.4 L v6

Toyota Service :

3.5 hours is a very correct estimate. This particular model is rather involved.

Toyota Service :

The vehicle was not mentioned on my screen.

Toyota Service :

earlier

Customer:

I really should have researched more before buying it. Looking at $600 bill to replace a $30 part. wow.

Toyota Service :

yes.....I am sorry to hear that. Those vehicles are rather labor intensive

Toyota Service :

4.2 hours to replace the radiator

Customer:

well, thank you for the information. much more cost effective than taking it to a shop.

Toyota Service :

You are very welcome

Toyota Service :

Thanks for choosing Just Answer for assistance today

Toyota Service :

it was a pleasure to assist you

Customer:

Have a great weekend.

Toyota Service :

A positive rating for my assistance would be greatly appreciated

Toyota Service :

You too!

Toyota Service :

Thanks again

Toyota Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr.
Experience: Over 30 years experience in the automotive field