greasemonkey2386
greasemonkey2386, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certifications A1,A4,A5,and A7 10+ years professional hands-on experience
71578964

Hi, I am driving my fathers (hes 76 and Im 46) old 1996

Hi, I am driving my father's (he's 76 and I'm 46) old 1996 Infiniti I30. It needs new tires and apparently some under-carriage repair. I am in between jobs so have very little money to spend.

On the tires, what is the least expensive option (Walmart or Costco or other?)

On the other repair, here is what they say is needed from the estimate sheet:

REPLACE FRONT AND REAR STRUTS AND FRONT MOUNTS PARTS: LABOR - 802.30; TOTAL - 1421.06

REPLACE LOWER CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS LABOR - 391.22 PARTS - 151.90 TOTAL - 543.12

Unfortunately I don't have a local mechanic friend.

Mark

greasemonkey2386 :

hello, i would not recommend walmart for vehicle service, you will spend more down the road having to have the repairs redone....but the parts that you have listed there are not critical, you can drive the car in the meantime until you save up some money, they will not leave you stranded somewhere or anything like that....shocks and struts are usually recommended for ride quality and the control arm bushings will make some noise and make effect tire wear but thats about it, they can not completely fail and cause a wheel to fall off or anything like that

Customer:

Ok. So where should I go to get the most affordable tire solution.

greasemonkey2386 :

where are you located?

greasemonkey2386 :

around here if you are in dire need of tires and are on a very tight budget there are options for used tires, but the quality varies greatly obviously

Customer:

in Folsom, CA 95630. close to Sacramento.

greasemonkey2386 :

ok, if you are looking for something just to get you by, you could go with used....for new maybe pep boys or sams club if you have them out there

Customer:

one of the worst tires just went out on me. i'm at a chili's waiting for triple A. Anyway, how is costco? I am not a sams club member. and what do you call used? retreads? Who sells them?

greasemonkey2386 :

they are just used tires, tires that someone else got rid of or the car got in an accident or something and they salvaged the tires, i dont know if they do that in california or not....for tires costco is ok but i wouldnt recommend getting the other work done there