Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

Brakes smell and overheating

Brakes smell and overheating. Some of the brake pads overheat after they are replaced and why do they do it? Is it because calipers are stuck or do they tend to get hot because of any other reason? What are the steps to prevent it?

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you with your question.

What do you mean the brake pads overheat? Is this because you see them smoking?

Does the vehicle roll easy in neutral?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It rolls fine but after you drive you can smell burning pads. Also some of the calipers are hotter than other and smell stronger.

There could be a few reasons why this is happening. I will go over a few different possible causes.

YES.. the brake calipers themselves can very well be sticking causing this issue. The slides can stick or the piston inside the caliper can stick preventing the pressure from releasing the brake pads after releasing the brake pedal. This is the most common cause. One caliper can go bad or both calipers can go bad.

Another possible cause would be a bad master cylinder. The orifice inside can clog up preventing the fluid form flowing back into the reservoir which can cause the brakes to hang up.

Another possible cause would be a bad brake hose or proportioning valve

I have also seen incorrect brake parts installed onto a vehicle which can cause smoking and burning when driving the vehicle because the parts are not sitting together correctly. In addition, I have seen bad wheel bearings cause this condition as well as the brake pad will rub on the brake rotor because the wheel is not sitting straight in line like it should.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any further questions.