Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

Land Rover Discovery: Hello! I saw that you had offered advice

Customer Question

Hello! I saw that you had offered advice to another LR owner. I have a 95 LR Discovery and couldn't shift out of park, at that time all brake lights were fine, so they replaced the shifter interlock solenoid and it worked great for two days and NOW the shift won't budge out of park again and I have a rear passenger brake light out and the inside dome lights flicker for a few seconds then stop when they first come one. Do you have any idea what the issue could be? I am going to replace the bulb, not sure where the fuse is or what it is for this issue. Someone mentioned a neutral safety switch, is that the same as a brake switch? I'm so confused and any advice is deeply appreciated.
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.

Hi Debra,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would ask to see if you still need help with this.

When you press on the brake pedal with the engine running to shift out of park do you hear a click at all near the shifter assembly or inside the vehicle when pressing on the brake pedal?

This may be an internal electrical fault in the brake signal switch itself as sometimes this switch can fail to provide a signal to release the shifter even if the brake lights are working.The signals from the switch would need checked/tested to be sure and I would also have the fault codes checked using a scan tool that can plug in and communicate with this vehicle to see if any codes have set.

If any codes have set in any computer in the vehicle this may aid in the diagnosis and location of the fault here.A failed brake signal switch can be fairly common for this fault.If you have flickering lights when pressing on the brake pedal this may be caused by low voltage issues,this can sometimes be due to a loose or corroded battery cable at the battery or to where it runs.

All of these would need checked into to see if the fault can be located and then repaired.

I hope this has helped in some way here.If you need anything else don't hesitate to ask thats what I am here for.If you are not satisfied with my help here let me know before rating my help.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete