sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Mitsubishi L200: L200 58 plate stuck in 4 wd. What should I

L200 58 plate stuck in 4 wd. What should I do?
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are quite a few things that can cause it to stay in four wheel drive. If it acts like the shift has completed but it still feels like it's locked in when going around corners then the most common cause of that would be tire circumference differences. If all four tires aren't the same brand, size and tread depth then it can cause binding in the transfer case as the tires turn at different speeds.

If that's not the case then you could have a mechanical problem in the transfer case, but it's more likely to be an electrical problem with the control system. The transfer case is shifted by an electric motor controlled by a module. The motor contains an internal position sensor so the module knows where the motor is at. Possible causes for not shifting would be the motor itself, wiring, the switch or module. Most often the motor itself is the failed part.