sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 14 years dealership experience
9825021

Voyager 2.5 CRD: I own a 04 Chrysler 2.5 Voyager and Im having

I own a 04 Chrysler 2.5 Voyager and I'm having problems opening the rear tailgate.It remains locked no matter what I do with the central locking .When I put the the key in the lock it refuses to move in either direction . Does the tailgate have a fuse ? .
Category: Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

No, there aren't any fuses just for the liftgate. The liftgate power lock actuator is controlled directly by the body control module just like the locks on the other doors.

Since the key won't turn the lock cylinder either you know it's a mechanical issue with the latch rather than electrical. What you'll have to do is remove the trim panel from the inside while the liftgate is closed, which can be difficult. It's held in with push in clips with the exception of the bottom which has screws, so you'll be able to remove it enough to gain access to the latch. Once there try using some penetrating oil and see if you can get it to free up, if not then the latch will have to be dismantled enough to get it to release, and then replace the latch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Forgive my ignorance but what is a module and where is it located on the vehicle. I have been qouted £90 for a diognostic check and then £90 per hour labour plus parts to rectify the problem . I have had no previous problems with the liftgate and it occurred after the wife closed the lid after loading shopping . As you stated its not easy to get to the interior but there is what appears to be an inspection plug at the location of the lock prehaps some dw40 might help its just so darn difficult to get to .

A module is an electronic control unit that controls a feature or system. The body control module controls many of the electrical features on the inside of the van. The BCM is located under the dash on the driver's side.

You can try removing the small plug and lubricating the latch through there and see if it helps. At this point though lubricating it isn't likely to break it free and get it working again. Either something was closed in the door and is jammed in the latch or the latch itself is the cause and it will most likely need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your swift reply They say that trouble comes in threes well i'm also experiencing trouble with the drivers window which lowers very slowly ( if at all ) and the passenger electric mirror which when operated from the mirror switch doesent lock halfway but goes to its full extent .do.you think the problems are related ?.

These problems would be separate from the liftgate issue. the window problem is most likely a weak window motor, the mirror problem is going to be the mirror or the switch itself.

sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 14 years dealership experience