SARMIENTO22556, Auto Service Technician

Cadillac CTS: 2008 cadillac cts strange sound when driving

2008 cadillac cts strange sound when driving
Category: Car
Expert:  SARMIENTO22556 replied 3 years ago.
Hello, can you give me more details about the noise? is it a groan? whine? etc. at what speeds does it happen? does it happen when the car is hot? cold? at a certain rpm? any information you can provide would be helpful
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello, thanks for your is actually two noises. One is a clicking or ticking sound that you can hear in the first video. That sound happens whenever the car first starts or is running you can also hear it under acceleration.

The second sound is like a rattle when the car is at idle or is accelerated. Upon pushing in the gas it gets louder, in video 2 you can hear it from about the 12 second mark on until the end.

Video 1:

Video 2:

i will have to watch them later at home. I am blocked from you tube at work. i will get back to you tomorrow.

the second noise sounds like it might be a loose exhaust heat shield rattle

ok I finally saw your two videos. the first noise sounds like valve train noise. depending on the mileage and I assume its on the higher end, the hydraulic valves have lost their prime causing the valves to rattle. this is what is considered major engine work and i would definitely get a shop to confirm that is where the noise is coming from.
the second noise I couldn't even hear in your video but what i did hear seemed like the first noise just muffled.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I actually took it into cadillac today who told me the second noise was actually the timing chain. The car only has 50,000 on it so it is still within warranty on the power train.