Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

Mitsubishi Lancer: i have a 02 lancer with a 2.o 4cyl in it

i have a 02 lancer with a 2.o 4cyl in it i have a po442 that says a small leak in the evap system has been detected where do i start
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would ask to see if you still need help with this.

One common fault can be a loose or damaged gas cap that can cause this code.Make sure the gas cap is not damaged and is installed correctly.If it is then from there you can inspect the evap (fuel tank vapor) system hoses and fuel tank to see if any damage is found visually.If you are unable to locate any components visually at fault then the evap system would need to be smoke tested.This is where smoke is injected into the evap system and the vent valve is closed using a scan tool,where the smoke leaks out is the source of the leak needing repaired.

Most common is a faulty or loose gas cap or a damages evap hose/pipe assembly needing replaced.

I hope this has helped in some way here.If you need anything else don't hesitate to ask thats what I am here for.If you are not satisfied with my help here let me know before rating my help.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete