Chris, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  43 years of automotive repair, Smog license

Chev silverado: I have a 2008 Chev Silverado was towing a trailer

I have a 2008 Chev Silverado was towing a trailer .Check engine light started fleshing ,
stablitrak light on says service soon, traction control light on. engine running rough.
took to shop said #6 misfire . shop thinks lifter bad. Any suggestion?
Hello and thank you for allowing me to help you with your question. First of all , a flashing check engine light does mean a cylinder that is misfiring, and I am assuming that they connected their scan tool and pulled up a P0306 trouble code which means that the misfire is from the # XXXXX cylinder. That being said, there are only about 3 things that can cause this. 1 an ignition problem like spark plug, plug wire or ignition coil, 2 a failing fuel injector, or 3 an engine mechanical problem like a lifter or valve problem. If they have ruled out a fuel or ignition problem, then it probably is a lifter or valve issue. Lifters have been known to fail sometimes on this engine, and the shop is probably correct. But just to be sure, ask them to provide a compression test result and if the # XXXXX cylinder is low, then you can believe the diagnosis.

I hope this information helps, and let me know if you need further assistance with this

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Did a compression test it was good. Removed the valve cover said was no movement from rocker arm, push rod was good

Ok then it is a lifter problem. The only other thing it could be is a worn cam lobe. But I seriously doubt that. The problem is that the lifter has collapsed and will need to be replaced.