Dad Mechanic
Dad Mechanic, Mechanic
Experience:  I have worked on everyting from Model Ts to 2012 Autos,
65581030

ra - es

Customer Question

While idling my battery and alternator test well for voltage output, but if i drive for 5-10 minutes the battery lite symbol on the dashboard lights up and the car eventually loses power and cuts off...?
Submitted: 3 years ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Car
Expert:  Dad Mechanic replied 3 years ago.

Dad Mechanic :

Sorry for your problem. I am here to try and assist you. Youu haven't told us what make model or year your vehicle is. Have youu had your battery tested? Have you tested the out-put of your alternator. You can have your battery tested and your alternator checked at a parts store like autozone or advance auto or o'rieleys.

Dad Mechanic :

Jim!!!

JACUSTOMER-8lalikh5- :

Its a 2000 Chysler Sebring JXI ( convertible, 2.5 L) The battery is new and the alternator will charge positively when I first crank it up and idle. The problem begins once I get on the road and drive 5-6 miles, then the 'battery symbol' comes on the dash and when I pull over to test the voltage, it drops way below 12 and the car dies anywhere from 5 to 25 minutes later.

Dad Mechanic :

you should check the fuseable link on the positive terminal of the battery to see if is detiorated or burnt. This would be the smaler wire on the positive terminal.

JACUSTOMER-8lalikh5- :

Define 'fusible link' ? Is this the 'hot' wire that leads to the alternator, or are you talking about just the fuse involved? The car performs ( voltage-wise) just fine when idling, but if I hit the road, after a few minutes the 'battery charge' indicator comes on and the 'charging' process drops to a insufficient level.

Dad Mechanic :

the fuseable link is thee small wire that connects at the battery terminal its is smaller than the wire that it connects to usually about 6 inches away. sometimes this can deterate.

Dad Mechanic :

jim!!!

JACUSTOMER-8lalikh5- :

Does it have an inline fuse? If it works fine while idling, why would it affect performance and halt the charging process out on the road? Looks like it would affect the 'charging' process at regular idling speed?

JACUSTOMER-8lalikh5- :

Explain what you specifically mean when you say 'deteriorate' ?

Dad Mechanic :

sometimes battery acid can cause it to rot "oxidize" and not carry voltage. High voltage draw can cause it to melt like a fuse. Jim!!!

JACUSTOMER-8lalikh5- :

The battery compartment is below the motor ( in front of the wheel) and no battery spillage could possibly reach it. Any other possibilities... alternator or voltage regulator, ECM..?

Dad Mechanic :

ecm has no effect on charging system. you can take the alternator to one of the parts store and ask them to runit for a while to see if it stops charging after its run for a while they check it for free. Jim!!!

JACUSTOMER-8lalikh5- :

Every child above the age of 4 knows you can go to an Advance Auto and get your alternator checked... now why would I want to go to all the trouble of taking an alternator off and dragging it up there on a whim.... ( that would be pretty stupid, wouldn't it..)? Taking their test ( with the alternator intact and idling was the first thing I did actually...), so, let's don't waste time on the painfully obvious...

Dad Mechanic :

I can see you have more experance than I so I will opt out, They test alternators under load. Maybe there is another expert thatt can help you more. Thanks for coming to Just Answers. Jim!!!