Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair

91 amigo. no spark

new batt, pump, filter, starter. checked plugs and coil. no spark at either coil test good.checked low end 1.2 high end of coil good. 9.31. 

91 amigo fuel flow is good cannot get spark. car sat for three years. turns over but not fire. what else could it be

Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Tracer :

Hello, I am Randall. Engine size? how are you determining fuel flow is good?no ignition parts put on? how are you testing for spark/ ? I need more detailed information to see how I can help

Customer:

2.6 fuel pump runs, started to disconnect fuel hose at manifold good press. did not put gage on it but it was above 10 psi. I used an in line spark tester. no new igition parts

Tracer :

do you have a testlight or meter?

Customer:

test light

Tracer :

and, where are you testing for spark. off the coil wire or plug wire

Customer:

both fist i tried plug no spark then coil no spark

Customer:

*first

Tracer :

can you tell me if you have power on the yellow.blue wire at the coil with key on?

Customer:

yes

Tracer :

have you reversed your testlight at the coil on the - side and cranked to see if you get a light pulse?

Customer:

no I did not I never had that issue before.

Tracer :

issue? unsure what you mean. Touch the tip of testlight to the battery and the clamp end with say a paper clip on the neg/- side of the coil, coil wire, crank. and see if testlight blinks

Customer:

i test resisance on coil. it read 1.2 on low end and I removed it and test it and it came out fine 9.31

Customer:

the test light is a through was it should light from either side

Customer:

*was= way

Tracer :

Ok, I am trying to see if the module is controlling the coil. It sound slike you have not done that test, the one described, correct?

Tracer :

I am not leaning to coil at all. I am going to controls before the coil

Customer:

no I dont know anymore than what I have done. the module and that stuff is greek to me

Customer:

I have no knowledge on the module, I assume it is on the top of the engine behind the coil dont know how to test it

Tracer :

Ok, 3 things control the coil. the crank sensor, ignition control module and the ECM ( computer) It seems to me you most likely have a bad ignition module. i do not have a picture of location but by memory>? its on right side kid of under intake manifold. you can NOT test the module. have to swap it out. I would be sure the rotor in distributor is turning when cranking, just to be sure. if so? coil sounds good, then I lean to an ignition control module. It looks like the item in the picture on the bottom. Silver in color. I am sorry I can not remember back to 1991 all the time

Full Size Image

Customer:

so I have to swap it out to find out if it is bad?

Customer:

the ignition module that is

Customer:

if not then replace the ECM. is there any test on it? or is that a swap out

Tracer :

some, not all part stores have module tester machines, dont count on one for this old. In the shop? it really was process of elimination, no spark? we mad sure timing ok and rotor turned and then tested coil then? swapped out the module. ECM, very rare

Tracer :

Most common? the module or some call the igniter at parts stores. pre 1996 is so much harder to trouble shoot before OBD 2 diagnsoctis in 1996

Tracer :

Most foreign mad engines with lack of spark did in fact turn out to be a failed igniter

Tracer :

" made"

Customer:

So pull the module, try to find a test for it. if bad replace it, if I can find a test. if not swap it out then its the ecm?

Tracer :

hang tight, back in a minute

Customer:

ok I will be here

Tracer :

ok, in 37 years i never performed this test. never had to. we simply swapped out the module. 2 things, either ignitier or power switch whichever you want to call it, several names is the most common. the crank sensor is inside the distributor, although it could be bad, not nearly as common as igniter/power switch, Be sure the engine light does come on the dash with key on, this means computer is getting power. IF? you want to go through the effort to test igniter. power switch? click HERE to upload how. If not. maybe parts stores can. If not, 2 choices,either swap out igniter and if no go, then possible crank s ensor inside distributor. I am very sorry i can not send a 123 answer. Several possibles. pre 1996 was really parts swapping as bad as it sounds or really by experience as to the most common we saw

Customer:

If its pre 72 i seen most of it. understand about the stuff guess its swap and trial. thanks you tried

Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair