Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

Land Rover Discovery: Land Rover Discovery 2002

Land Rover Discovery 2002
When it does not start will it start with starting fluid?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The car will start when it is cold then shut off in a short period once it gets hot.

Ok once its hot will it still crank over and if it does will it stat with starting fluid?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no

So it does not crank over at all the stater will not engage when its hot?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You can hear it trying to start but it does not engage.

My neighbor who is a mechanic but not familiar with Land Rovers thought it was in the ignition system. That when it got hot it turned off. Are you a Land Rover expert?

Most common is a faulty crank sensor was this checked?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Where is the crank sensor located?
Is it easy to replace?
Not to bad .The crank position sensor is located on the back of the engine, below cylinder 7 (LH side of engine)There is a cover over the sensor to remove first.This diagram will help.
ClickHere
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Earlier in the day the car had a cylinder misfire. Could this be related?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What does the crank sensor do?
Yes absolutely .It control spark and the signal to allow the fuel injectors to operate.As long as timing is ok this needs to be checked next.Remember Im here if you need any further assistance for anything at all just let me know .Please rate excellent service so I can get credit for my help thanks.Bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you have to take the engine apart to replace this part?
Or is it pretty easy to replace?
No pretty easy to get to and no engine disassembly needed.Remember Im here if you need any further assistance for anything at all just let me know .Please rate excellent service so I can get credit for my help thanks.Bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The diagram does not appear to be correct for a 2002 Land Rover Discovery. What needs to be removed in order for the sensor to be put on? The transmission does not have to be removed correct?
I doubled checked that's the exact location it's showing. What size is your engine?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
V8
Ok let me double check but still showing the same location did you use the diagram I supplied?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. He said he had to drop the transmission to put the part in? It didn't seem correct. You said it was a simple install. I gave him the diagram.
Ok I think he is not being honest let me try to post the entire procedure for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is for a Land Rover Discovery 2002 correct?
Yes correct.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Are you still sending me the entire procedure?
Yes I am trying it upload it here for you so please bare with me.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am still waiting for the complete procedure. Let me know when I will receive it. Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Help. We are trying to find this now and can't. Which side off the engine is it on?
Sorry for any delay . You do not need any special tools just a 7mm and 8mm socket and a 24 inch long screwdriver would be helpful to reach the wiring, the crank sensor is mounted on the left hand side of the engine opposite from where the starter is located, the hard part is reaching the electrical connector for the sensor, its mounted on the back of the cylinder head near the firewall.Its a tight fit to get your hand up there and disconnect it.Remember Im here if you need any further assistance for anything at all just let me know.Please rate excellent service so I can get credit for my help thanks.Bonuses greatly appreciated.