Amedee
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

isuzu rodeo: car wont start, no fire to spark plugs, replaced

Customer Question

car won't start, no fire to spark plugs, replaced ing coil, have 13.4 v going into coil, 5.4 v going into ICM, all fuses and relays good, what else could I check?
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X can assist you with your question.

Does the engine have injector pulse and fuel pressure when cranking it over?

Are there any codes in the computer?

Are you looking for some possible causes or would you like me to walk you through this diagnoses?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no codes, fuel pump runs about 3sec when key is turned on, but not when cranking, need to check inj pulse

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Ray,

Thanks for that information.

Does the TPS have 5 volts going to it with the key on? Can you check for me?

Also, what size engine do you have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

2.6 sohc

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that information.

Let me know if you have 5 volts going to the TPS and injector pulse when cranking it over.

I will be looking forward to your reply!

Amedee
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

will check inj pulse, what's TPS

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Ray,

The TPS is the throttle position sensor located on the side of the throttle body.

The computer sends out 5 volts to the TPS with the key on. This is a good check to ensure that the computer is "awake" with the key on. If there is no 5 volt reference to the computer with the key on, then the computer is not awake and the engine will not start and run.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes tps has 5 v, 12.5v to inj.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
And what about injector pulse when cranking the engine over?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

don't have the inj test light

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Ok.. no problem.

Let me know when you are able to get one and have run this test.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, will try to get one and get back to you

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good!

Another thing you can do is if you are sure you have low voltage to the ICM, you can apply FULL voltage to the ICM and see if the engine starts and runs. If it runs when doing this, then you know the engine has injector pulse. Just a thought. Let me know what you find!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks very much, will be back

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good!

Talk to you soon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Amedee, got noid, no pulse, no light at all

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Ray,

This is Excellent! Thank you very much for doing this for me!

no spark, no injector pulse correct?

What color wire are you checking for power at the ignition module?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

blk w/orange stripe

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Ray,

Is there a red/green wire going into the ignition control module?

There should be. This wire is the power wire that comes from the ECM main relay
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no red/green, facing veh, connector is green, wire color from left to right are blk/org, grey/red, blk/white

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Ray,

Can I get your VIN?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

4S2CK58E5V4325302

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the VIN!

What two color wires are going to the ignition coil?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

blk/org, blue

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Ray,

Here is a wiring diagram of your ICM and ignition coil.

The wire colors are correct you say that are going to the ignition coil. But the ones you are telling me going to the ignition control module are not making any sense. Please look at the wiring diagram. The red/green wire is the wire that gets power

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my mistake Amedee, found it, red/green has 12.5v

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Excellent!

Thank you for checking that for me.

IT sounds to me like you have a bad crankshaft position sensor or camshaft position sensor causing this no start condition provided the timing belt is not broke.

If it were the ignition control module, this engine should still have spark. But it does not have spark or injector pulse. This tells me that the computer is not even seeing engine rpm when cranking the engine over.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

will make sure wires are not broken to either and get back to you, thanks

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome! I am glad I could help! It has been a pleasure assisting you with your question. Please don't forget to rate my answer as "excellent service" so I get credit for the time and knowledge that I have shared with you in a timely manner.

If you have any further questions, again, please feel free to use the reply button and I will reply back asap. In addition, please allow time between answers as I may be off line spending time with my family or assisting other customers.

You can always request me by using the link through my profile page. Just Click on "AMEDEE" next to my picture and enter your question in the question box on the left hand side of the screen below my profile picture and I will be sure to respond back in a timely manner.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards

Amedee
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

good morning Amedee, this is Ray, still can't

get my car to start, checked to see if any codes were present, found one, P0337,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
still don't have car started
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Did you replace the distributor yet for this issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no, have not replaced it, eng was running, replaced timing belt and front crank seal,after that could't get it to start

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Ok are you 100 percent sure timing is dead on? Also the timing belt did not break did it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

timing is dead on, will need to check to see if new belt is broken

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

timing is dead on, just checked, new belt is not broken

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Wad the old belt broken is that why it was replaced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no seal was leaking real bad, belt was soaked with oil

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Ok but you are 100 percent sure it did not jump time, just need to know these are known to bend valves.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

checked timing before taking old belt off, everything in line, my problem is no spark, low voltage to crank position sensor

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Ok this has to be a distributor issue or if the distributor checks out ok then it would be a shorted ECM. These need to be checked next for this issue. Remember that I'm here if you need any further assistance just let me know. Hoped this helped.Please rate excellent service so I can get Credit for my help thanks. Bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks, will check farther

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Anytime. Please rate excellent service so I can get Credit for my help thanks. Bonuses greatly appreciated.