Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness

2013 Chevy: Just finished putting a new chevy 572 crate engine

Just finished putting a new chevy 572 crate engine into my chevy 11 nova pro street, drove it down the driveway, engine completely locked up shut her off and got her home, found a spark plug completely destroyed and not at all sure what could have caused this?? Deperate and disappointed. Any ideas???
Pull the valve cover from that side of the engine and look at the valve ends to see if they are even with all the rest. It's possible you broke or dropped a valve. If the valves look the same you'll have to pull the head, but call your engine supplier before you do any real teardown, they may void the warranty if you pull the head without permission. The other thing that may have happened, and I don't want to say this, but you may have dropped a bolt or something in there. It will be obvious with the head off. Whatever you do, don't try and turn or start the motor any more, it might not be that much damage.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Found the broken bolt after pulling the head, now need to know where to send the engine to have repaired. Chevy gives no warranty with these crate engines, so pretty much screwed there. However, I have to have the head resurfaced the valve redone and just don't have the experience to do it. Any suggestions on who would be an expert to send this high performance engine to. I am in Sumter, SC???

I am not real familiar with that area but I have dealt with MER Performance in Little River SC and they are top notch. They are boat specialists but they deal with big inch Chevy stuff all day long.