Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Subaru Impreza: Ive got a 1998 model subaru WRX GC8 (EJ20

I've got a 1998 model subaru WRX GC8 (EJ20 engine). I took it to a local mechanic after blowing the crank seal through what the mechanic said was excess crank case pressure. He really didn't know what he was doing as it turns out. He spent 2 months trying to fix it and after 3 subsequent repeat blow outs of the seal he finally fluked a temporary solution. He shortened the oil pump pressure spring and put a breather in the oil filler cap. Apparently oil pressure was still a bit high but not bad. 1 year down the track, it's blown again. What could be wrong?? Barely uses any oil and engine is healthy apart from this.

Hi Reuben,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would ask to see if you still need help with this.

On some vehicles they will have an oil pressure regulator that can fail and cause this here.If this was the spring that was shortened then what may be causing this here is the oil pump itself possibly.If it is building to high or oil pressure it will cause this fault.I have seen some oil pumps fail internally mechanically and cause this fault.

If your PCV is free and clear and isn't the cause and no other oil pressure regulator is found at fault then this may be the component at fault here causing this.

I hope this has helped in some way here.If you need anything else don't hesitate to ask thats what I am here for.If you are not satisfied with my help here let me know before rating my help.3 to 5 smiley faces for a rating is appreciated.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete