Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I have a 2002 isuzu rodeo the ck engine is on. The code is

Customer Question

I have a 2002 isuzu rodeo the ck engine is on. The code is p0401I put a new egr vavle on and had the code reset again. And the light come on again some code so what else can it be
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Pearl.com my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved. Do you have the v6 or 4 cylinder engine? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
v6
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
As you probably know this code means "EGR flow is too low". It is usually caused by the clogged EGR passages and since you already replaced the EGR valve that pretty much means it is the only possible cause. You can force the EGR valve open with it at idle and if vehicle does not stall this means the passages are clogged. Remove the throttle body and check the EGR feed tube on the bottom side of the manifold. Clean the passageways with a suitable tool, and recheck the system. Let me know if you have questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what kind of suitable tool do i need. wheres the back side of the manifold at
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
You can get a pipe cleaner that goes on the end of a drill then also use parts cleaner. You will want to remove the EGR valve and remove the throttle body then use tool with cleaner to clean out both parts going to exhaust and to intake to make sure both are clean. Let me know how it goes or if you run into any questions. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks. that should make the light go out
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Definitely, its a common problem, a lot more common then the EGR valve failing. If you run into questions you can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees so make sure to let me know how it goes. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you send a picture of the things I need to clean
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
I do not have any pictures available but if you remove the EGR valve there are 2 ports, one goes to the exhaust and one goes to the intake. Clean out both of those ports so engine will stall when egr is opened at idle and that will fix the problem. Let me know how it goes or if you run into questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks so much
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
No problem, I am happy I could help. Make sure to keep me updated with outcome or if you run into any questions at all. Thanks again and have a great night.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so take the egr valve back off and clean the thing of that the egr valve goes to
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
That is correct, there are 2 holes, one goes to exhaust and one goes to intake. You need to clean out both holes, mainly the one going to intake. Let me know how it goes or if you run into questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok was making sure i could clean them too holes out
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
No problem, let me know how it goes or if you end up running into questions. Thanks again and have a good evening.