Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

A local mechanic told me I might need an "intake" on my car.

A local mechanic told me I might need an "intake" on my car. The "Low Coolant" light on my dashboard lit up three times about 6 weeks apart. First he replaced the water pump, but then informed me about the "intake". Is he bleeding me dry on this car?
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. What year, model, make, and engine size? Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is a 1999 Chevy Monte Carlo with a 3100 V6. Is it safe to drive if I just keep an eye on the coolant level?

Have you checked oil? These engines have a lot of problems with intake gasket leaking coolant into oil which can cause major problems. If its leaking on ground you can keep adding. But if it is leaking into oil causing oil level to get higher it should be replaced asap.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes the oil is fine. But I do have minor leaks beneath the engine. So
as long as the oil level is OK I can continue to drive it?

That is correct, if you are trying to save money you will be fine to keep adding coolant as long as its not going into the oil. If you do get it repaired it is about a 6 hour job and $200 in parts so around $800 total depending where you go. Let me know if you have questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks Dolores.