K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade

Hummer h3: I have a 2007 Hummer H3 with 48000 miles on it and

I have a 2007 Hummer H3 with 48000 miles on it and the 5yr / 100,000 mi drive train expired in july 2012. I had the car stored during the winter months and just recently jump started the vehicle to drive around town to recharge the battery. after 45 min of driving i had turned of the engine and restarted it just to check if it would start up. after doing so the engine was rattling really bad with the check engine light on. i had drove it to the service station and a diagnostic check was done and the tech says the valve seat has dropped from the cylinder and also getting fuel into the converter. is there anything i can say or the nearest GM dealership do to accomodate this misfortune. Has there been any defects by the manufacturer with this issue.
Hello and welcome to just answer. Could you provide me with your VIN so I can check something real quick?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for that information. There were known issues with the H3 heads with vin #'s that were below 287591, your H3 is within the range of effected vehicles. GM issued a notice to dealers about the valve seat issue and they were repairing them under warranty.

The good news is I have seen GM repair these even when out of warranty as they were worried about a class action law suit. Considering your low mileage there is a very good chance they will cover it. They may make you pay a diagnostic fee at the GM dealer to make sure that is the problem and then they will either do it for a reduced price or free as a "good will" repair.

I would first call GM hummer warranty assistance. Let them know you are aware of the issue with the valve seats. There contact info is below. If I can assist you further let me know.

GM HUMMER Warranty Customer Assistance Centers are open Monday through Friday, from 8:00 AM to 11:00 PM (Eastern Standard Time). To contact the GM HUMMER Customer Assistance Center, call: 1.800.462.8782