Steve
Steve, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  25 years working as a service technician
43460220

engine runs but it doesnt have power to move

Submitted: 1 year ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Car
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer! Could you please post the year, make and model of your vehicle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

2002 ford explorer

Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that information. I will send this to the Ford category and a Ford expert should be with you shortly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes 2002 ford explorer

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for your question.

My name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

I am a Ford expert to help you out.

Could you please go into to detail on your concern?
When you step on the gas and you are in drive the explorer does not move? Do the RPM go up and you do not move, or do you have no rpm rise and your explorer blahs out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

engine runs but when i step on gas paddle it blahs out, if i step on gas in park engine rpms rise but still sounds like only half power.

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the added info.

You could have one of two problems. Lack of fuel pressure or a plugged cat converters.

I would start with the lack of fuel for diag. I would first start by replacing the fuel filter if you have not done so yet. If it is still acting up after that then you will need to check the fuel pressure and you should have around 40 psi and it should clime not fall under a load.

The best way to check the fuel pressure is with a obd 2 scanner that has pids capabilities to monitor computer voltages. You can then bring up the fuel rails sensor and monitor the fuel pressure.

If the fuel pressure is drooping under a load and you have a new fuel filter then you have a bad fuel pump in the gas tank.

If the fuel pressure is ok then you will need to remove the two nuts that hold the exhaust y pipe to the exhaust manifold and pull the exhaust down and drive your explorer and see if the power comes back. If it does you will need new cat converters.

Steve, ASE Certified Tech
Experience: 25 years working as a service technician