EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master certified L1, L2, Diesel Certified 16 years experience

jeep liberty: My 2005 Jeep Liberty, 3.7XXXXX shifts

My 2005 Jeep Liberty, 3.7XXXXX shifts down to second gear and I have to turn the engine off and restart for it to shift out. The engine light comes on, it then goes off by itself after sitting. This has happened a half dozen times in the last month.
Hi. If you could get the code from the computer that would help diagnosis this. But, what I have seen in the past is the solenoid pack in the transmission go bad. It is a group of solenoids that control the shifting of the trans. It is fairly common on Jeeps to go bad. The solenoid pack has an internal fault. Can fail with a clean, good condition transmission. That is why when resetting the key the trans will shift fine. The concern will gradually get worse until the trans will not want to shift at all. Let me know if you have any more questions. Thanks, Eric
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So is this a major deal or if I take it to the dealer, or do I have to take it to a dealer, is this going to cost me an arm and leg to get fixed.

Its not really a major deal. The part is about 250 dollars. To install the part, the transmission pan needs to come off, then the valve body needs to come off. It is a messy job and can be done at home by someone with some technical ability. I believe at the repair shop, the total bill would be around 600-700 dollars.